PDA

View Full Version : A4 Cabriolet Roof problems

wmccann
14-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi all,

I am having terrible problems with the roof on my cabriolet. Started in December when I tried to open it and got a message in the console "soft top cannot be used". rather generic.

Did some investigations and manually opened and closed it etc but to no avail. Then I found that the rear right window would not go down. Having got a Vagcom I queried the car and got back that there were no communications with the unit.

I got a second hand unit, replaced it and the window now works.

Then tried the roof, but it would not open. after some messing I got it to open all the way to the point where it tries to lift the rear cover, this goes up a few cm and then everything stops. if I pull the switch again it goes up a few more mm and stops again. I cannot get it to open.

If I then close the roof it goes back as usual until the front is supposed to lock in, At this point it stops half engaged. I have to press the switch down about 4-5 times to get it close (each time it engages a tiny bit more).

When I look in vag com I get the following errors:

01618 - Automatic convertible top valve 2 (N272)
009 - Open or Short to Ground

01984 - Power Convertible Top Valve 2 (N341)
009 - Open or Short to Ground

02024 - Perfrom adaptation
005 - No or incorrect basic setting /Adaptation.

(the last one only appeared after I tried to reset the adaptation)

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Walter.

Crasher
14-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Release the roof manually with the key both at the header rail and up inside the rear arm rest location. Lift up the rear deck covering and make sure that one of the rear seat belts has not been caught up in the locking pins and dragged down inside, this is common and punches a hole in the belt. If all looks OK, fold the roof down and then back up and lock it all down, it may now start working.

wmccann
14-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for that, unfortunately it didn't work.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Walter.

Crasher
14-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I will have to look at those faults in Guided Fault Finding next week.

wmccann
16-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks Crasher,

Did some more messing with it and it is now closed and when I check the error codes I get the following:

Error Code 01996 - top lock switch (F294) Open

Thanks,

Walter.

Crasher
16-03-2009, 11:49 AM
I think from that you can assume that F294 is faulty, 8H0 959 985 at £38 which is in the centre of the front bow with the top lock motor and is a bit of a pig to get at.

wmccann
16-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks Crasher,

Took it apart and found that the nuts holding the motor were loose, one actually had come out. Put it all back together and now that switch is working but still getting the other errors, - Tested with a multimeter and the switches worked fine.

Do you know where the "top valve" is located? - N272, N341

Also, in vagcom do I reset the roof using adaptation 00 or 01 (if I do 00 it says 05 is incorrect please set)

Also, Do I need an installer code?

Your help is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Walter.

Crasher
16-03-2009, 09:33 PM
I will look on Guided Fault Finding tommorow, I am still learing the ins and outs of how these roofs play up but one trick I have learnt is the one I told you eralier, fold the roof down fuuly manualy with the ignition on and then back up and lock it down, this noramly performs the basic settings.

a8 tech
16-03-2009, 09:39 PM
top locks are dead common but there not cheap and come as a complete lock and linkage

Crasher
16-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes, I looked this up earlier and it was around £450 for the complete unit.

wmccann
17-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Fixed, all now working:

1) Took the lock apart, cleaned it, realigned it and now works.

2) the other errors (01984 and 0168) was due to the fact the lead had been disconnected when I had the tow bar installed and they must have forgotten to put it back. Note it is in the boot, right hand side, there are 2 metal sump like units and the one I needed was on the top.

Have put in a smarttop and it works great - one touch opening.

Thanks for all the help,

Walter.

stevied553
18-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Hi,

Sorry for hopping on to this bandwagon, but can you offer any ideas on the enclosed pics.

The car had been to Audi to have a clicking noise investigated. It was found to be the roof on a road test, notable going over smooth road bumps.

The adjustable rods at the fron tof the roof were adjusted and for 2 weeks and £234 later the noise was gone.

2 weeks later the noise is back with a vengance and on a routine cleaning, i dropped the roof to clean the back trim and found these punctures !..:aargh4:

I was beside myself and after a ding-dong they said a trimmer would be able to repair them! ????:confused:

Still waiting for that to happen...

They are apparently NOT roof experts... anyone have a clue what has caused this and how can it be rectified in the roof ?

HELP please !!http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/stevied553/DSCF0126.jpghttp://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/stevied553/DSCF0128.jpg

wmccann
18-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi Steve,

I have the same, it is caused by someone opening the lock at the back manually with the roof only partially open - the rear part of the roof was not vertical when they did it and they put too much force on the key to open the back trim.

probably find the key was turned so the trim was up parially but not fully open and the rear window fell as the hydrolics were depressurised.

Not much you can do about it unless you have some form of hot knife and then it might look even worse.

hope this helps,

Walter.

ps. did you find the source of you clicking (if it is the front lock then you probably have the same problem I had - the nuts come undone, it is very simple to fix it just need a few allen keys. let me know if you want more info.

Crasher
18-03-2009, 12:46 PM
The one I worked on recently didn’t have those marks after we manually opened it.

wmccann
18-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Right, if done correctly, depends on where the rear window is and how far the cover is open - that is how I did mine, I had the cover open about 1.5 inches maybe a bit further and the top window fell down on top of it causing the same marks,

Walter.

stevied553
18-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Steve,

I have the same, it is caused by someone opening the lock at the back manually with the roof only partially open - the rear part of the roof was not vertical when they did it and they put too much force on the key to open the back trim.

probably find the key was turned so the trim was up parially but not fully open and the rear window fell as the hydrolics were depressurised.

Not much you can do about it unless you have some form of hot knife and then it might look even worse.

hope this helps,

Walter.

ps. did you find the source of you clicking (if it is the front lock then you probably have the same problem I had - the nuts come undone, it is very simple to fix it just need a few allen keys. let me know if you want more info.

Hi fella, mant thanks for getting back..

It all sounds very plausable !

ANY help would be great mate, can you give me a break down of where to go with an Allen key ... i will try anything ! The clicking is driving me nuts.. If you are right chap, i will be over to Audi an attitude never before witnessed and then round to yours with a six pack of " YOU ARE THE MAN!"...

Thanks bud. Look forward to hearing from you.

If its easier i will PM my email address.

Steve

wmccann
18-03-2009, 11:11 PM
No probs, Always think its best to post these for others to use later

1) open roof fully and turn off engin when it is just in the boot compartment but the cover has not closed. - much easier than working upside down!!!

2) with a philips screwdriver loosen the screws along the front of the roof - thre are about 9 or 10 of them.

3) carefully lift the plastic covering - it is held in by 4 clips evenly spaced. If you are careful you won't break any, if not you will and will have to get new ones - only 40c each in Ireland.

4) carefully slide the plastic covering from under the screws/metal plate you loosened in part one.

5) inside you will see the 2 locks and the motor in the center connected by 2 thick rods.

6) remove the power connector from the motor

7) undo the 3 hex nuts on each lock noting where they were placed for later (if you are nervous label each of the rods with left and right but you can't mix them up they only fit one way...

8) undo the 4 hex nuts holding the motor in place.

9) the whole lot should lift out

10) on your kitchen table (that is where I did mine) make sure the 2 nuts holding the motor in place are tight (mine were loose, one had come out). Tighten up the screw for the micro switch.

11) Make sure the threaded rods at each end do not move as this can be difficult to get right again.

12), now that everything is tight, reassemble in reverse order (motor first then the 2 catches). Note with the catches adjust them so the nuts are in the same position as before (there will be a mark on the black paint).

13) once you are happy all is tight, reattach the electrical connector.

14) carefully slip the plastic cover under the metal plate - this can be difficult but not too much.

15) tighten up the philips screws.

16) carefully looking under the cover align the metal clips with the slots in the roof and with a sharp bang of the fist knock them into place - if you get this bank wrong you will need to get new clips!!

17) open roof fully using the switch and then close it. All should be okay.

a few notes:

I have read that the top cover depressurises after 10 minutes i.e. it will fall down, mine didn't but just be careful as it is heavy, you may think about having someone hold it open for you or use a piece of wood to prop it open.

I took the rear seat out - just pull up sharply from the front - it comes out really easily - so as not to damage it

if the top does fall and you have problems closing it then I would suggest you hold it open by hand and have someone pull the switch to close the roof - it should get back in sync, if not start the engine (very necessary) just open the top down, manually lock it in place and then close it manually - again a helper is usefull or you can stand in the back and lift both sides at the same time, and manually close it (very important skill with soft tops) This will reset the system.

If you are having problems opening the roof again it means the the plate ontop of the motor that keeps the manual clutch in place is not pushing down enough, reopen the unit and make sure it is putting pressure on the black cap. (I had this issue though annoying you become an expert at opening the system very quickly.

I tested the roof before putting the plastic cover back on just to make sure it worked.

You can use nut glue to ensure the nuts stay tight (I didn't bother but hey maybe you are driving over cobbled streets every day :) )

Well that is about it, if you need any more help let me know, don't let the above frighten you, if you take your time it is actually really easy and there is very little that can go wrong. I would now have the unit out in about 5 minutes if I had to and about 10 to get it back in again.

Walter.

BTW, what is a trimmer?

stevied553
18-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Walter, MANY thanks.
That it is superb.. consider it printed out and ready for a Friday attempt !

A trimmer, ( as i know them ) would be one who for the purposes of earning a living, and unless they fix Steve's car to perfection cease to be living, would be the guys who perhaps re-cover or repair interior TRIM like leather or dashboard coverings.

If i get any issues i will drop you a line. You have been a great starting block .. here's hoping !

Don't suppose you are any good with a "click" noise as i pass through 1000 rpm in both directions, low gears (1-4)... between the two noises i am miserable !!... you may have solved one.. get yourself on my Christmas Card list and know what that one might be... i am told an EGR valve may be the cause but even Audi couldn't tell except another A4 they had did it, just not as loud.

After the crap with the roof i have ZERO faith in any of their troubleshooting or rectification so far..

Thanks Again buddy !

Steve:D

wmccann
18-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey,

Sorry not really an engine guy (is it a diesel or petrol and what size?)

Okay saw your other post on tyresmoke and the screws the garage adjusted are the ones on the end of the bars I mentioned, I assume the didn't want to mess with them as they could rip the threads and then you would have a right mess.

what you could try is to put some black gaffer tape (it is very sticky and strong) over the hooks - this will make the loop tighter and hold better - if you press up currently while you are driving does the noise stop (could be either side).

Also, you should make sure the microswitches are tight and correctly alligned (it might not be closing fully due to misalignment - to test manually close the catch as far as possible and see if you have the clicking.)

Note the micro switches are replaceable (I understand £35 approx) the rest is one unit and costs £450 so you don't want to break it!!)

You could also try moving the position of the catches ( they have long holes for the nuts so you can move them around before tightening!!)

I would suspect either the motor is loose or the microswitchs have moved slightly - BTW, you can't miss them when you have the unit out! they are the 2 black boxes with silver arms coming out of them in the motor housing..

If you need any part numbers let me know and I will look them up for you.

Best of luck on Friday,

Walter.

stevied553
19-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks fella.

Its a 2.5 TDi. 37k 04

Will have a good look around.. if Audi have missed this.. there is gonna be hell!!

Will keep you informed..

Cheers

Stuzz
03-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi all,
I know this is an old thread, but would just like to add my twopenneth.
I noticed on my 2005 A4 Cabriolet that the roof made quite a noise when traveling over uneven surfaces, or anything that wasn't glass smooth.
Upon initial inspection, I realised that with the roof closed, there was a bit of play on the O/S/F of the roof where it meets the windscreen frame, but was quite secure on the N/S.
I therefore opened the roof partially so that the front of the roof was about 18 inches off the frame, and with that, an Allen bolt fell in my lap.
I wiggled the offside locking hook to find it was loose with only the one Allen bolt in place.
With the roof on this position, I refitted the wayward Allen bolt and tightened the remaining loose bolt as necessary, and now it is secure with no rattles.
After securing bolts, I continued with the opening process completely and then closed the roof as normal.
Took about 5 minutes, no trim removed.
Best to use a ball-end Allen key as the bolts are slightly obscured by the roof trim.
Tools required 5mm Hex Key and a steady hand.
I hope this helps some of you.