PDA

View Full Version : Attention A6 Door Won't Open

peterbythesea
14-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I posted a few weeks ago asking for help with my 2001 A6 front passenger door not unlocking.I followed recomendations from other members, I also taled to the VAG dealers who just took it as an excuse to pluck a ridiculous price out of the sky. Apart from Lawsons cars Middlesbrough who were extremely helpful,thanks. Anyway back to the problem, this is what I did.
Cut out a piece of trim to gain access to the lock.(Didn't cut the cloth).
Squirted lots of WD40 on lock.
Luckily had use of an endoscope from work, which didn't realy help.
Pulled and pushed various linkages.
All above to no avail.
Then one Saturday morning after my wife had just shuffled across to the passenger seat, tried the door as she always did and the BL***Y thing opened. I immediately took the door card off, (best method of fixing a card I've come across). Took the lock off and stripped it. Found the dead lock motor had rust and general gunge around it, obviously getting water in where the two wires come out of the lock body.Disarmed the dead lock by removing a small white plastic peg which prevents the main lock from operating.Put back together and now works ok. I only cut plastic section on door card so have been able to repair with fibre glass and recover with very close matching colour (black) trim material from very helpful "Autotrim" refinishers in Dormanstown, Redcar, Cleveland, long established and excellent re-trimming people.Door now completely back together and only an eagle eyed person would notice repair.I'm sorry I cannot say definitively what caused the door to open, I can only put it down to the amount of WD40 I sprayed at it, of the course my wife tells everyone she fixed it. :o