PDA

View Full Version : bora is losing power

lolajean
16-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi,

New to this so please forgive if i do anything wrong.

I bought a vw bora 1.9tdi approx six weeks ago of a guy, everything went well for the first four and a half (until the warrenty had run out) then whilst driving along the road i lost power in the car, i could still drive but with no power. This lasted about 10-15 mins then everything went well after speaking to a friend he suggested changing all the filters and getting a service which i done and all was well for two days then the same he then stuck it on the diagnostics machine and its saying a new turbo required. should i burn the car or get a reconditioned turbo whats the cheapeast/best way to get this sorted.

Please help

S2AVANT
16-03-2007, 01:20 PM
You don't need a new turbo if the fault is intermittent.
You may need a new MAF or the connections cleaning.
What exactly is the diagnostics saying and is it VAG COM that is being used for diagnostics?

bora(ing) nick
16-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Andy.....I think lolajean aint a fella......lol

lolajean
16-03-2007, 01:43 PM
ill clear up the first question: lolajean is a fella,its my daughters name.

when i say losing power i mean i was putting the accelarator down full and the car was driving but very slowly, it wasnt untill i was in fourth gear that i was able to get over 40mph.

i dont know what the diagnostics said i havnt a clue about this stuff

bora(ing) nick
16-03-2007, 01:55 PM
ill clear up the first question: lolajean is a fella,its my daughters name.

when i say losing power i mean i was putting the accelarator down full and the car was driving but very slowly, it wasnt untill i was in fourth gear that i was able to get over 40mph.

i dont know what the diagnostics said i havnt a clue about this stuff

I apologise....

Could definately be the MAF, either that or it sounds like its gone into "limp" mode...

Not clued up enough to help i'm affraid....

Good luck

Eshrules
16-03-2007, 02:44 PM
:biglaugh: hello, did a quick search (well not really, subscribed to the thread actually)

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5352

try it, its entitled 90bhp Bora No Power

im guessing it might help you LOL ;) sarcasm aside, sounds very alike a MAF sensor, if you read the above thread, there are various links and tips on how to clean your MAF.

let us know how you get on :D

Eshrules
17-03-2007, 10:00 AM
any luck on this?:Blush:

lolajean
22-08-2007, 08:16 PM
hi people im back for some more of your advice. as you can see at the start of this ive been having power problems.... from the last time i was on ive had problems on and off for the last five months or so.

firstly i got a valve cleaned out cant rember the name of it (GNR mabye???) the car went like a dream again then a couple of days later it started again. i went like that for a few months and then just a couple of weeks ago i was going to get the turbo taken of and reconned when the guy that was doing it noticed that the vacum pipes were feked, one hod a hole in it and one was frayed so he replaced them and the car was sound again for another couple of days but......well you know where this is going..

this seems to happen around the 65 to 75mph mark and it will stay like this until i switch the engine off, im convinced its not the turbo and ive had a new air flow meter fitted... although the air flow he fitted look differnt to the one he took out but he said that it was ok.

im so sorry about the big story above but im gettin so frustrated but dont wanna get rid of the car :zx11:
:mad::aargh4:

bora(ing) nick
23-08-2007, 10:11 AM
hi people im back for some more of your advice. as you can see at the start of this ive been having power problems.... from the last time i was on ive had problems on and off for the last five months or so.

firstly i got a valve cleaned out cant rember the name of it (GNR mabye???) the car went like a dream again then a couple of days later it started again. i went like that for a few months and then just a couple of weeks ago i was going to get the turbo taken of and reconned when the guy that was doing it noticed that the vacum pipes were feked, one hod a hole in it and one was frayed so he replaced them and the car was sound again for another couple of days but......well you know where this is going..

this seems to happen around the 65 to 75mph mark and it will stay like this until i switch the engine off, im convinced its not the turbo and ive had a new air flow meter fitted... although the air flow he fitted look differnt to the one he took out but he said that it was ok.

im so sorry about the big story above but im gettin so frustrated but dont wanna get rid of the car :zx11:
:mad::aargh4:

Hello again....

I'm guessing they cleaned out the EGR valve.... its common for these to get blocked.

The MAF could still be faulty... Apparently, it's not uncommon for these to fail straight out of the box.

Nick

lolajean
23-08-2007, 10:18 AM
cheers nick ill try another one and hopefully this sorts it