PDA

View Full Version : Rear Suspension Nightmare

Beaversport10
13-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi again folks,

I have posted in the past regarding this problem and thought i'd post once more in hope before I take the darn thing into Audi to put it right.

About 4 months back I had both rear springs replaced with genuine Audi parts at a local garage and ever since the rear of the car is sat much higher than the front, so much so people comment on it.

Its a 1.9tdi 130 2002 SE 4 door and has the same colour stripes on the spring that were taken off - 4 white stripes.

The car now needs 2 rear tyres, I took it to the tyres place today to have them changed, the chap at the garage told me I have a suspension problem and that its sat to high, so much so I have over 2mm of tread on the inside of the tyres and they are nearly slick on the outsides... the same both sides.
I asked if he could laser align it and adjust the angle the wheels sit as they point slightly outwards at the top, he checked and said he only has adjustment on the direction they point and not the angle they sit at.

I cant see where the problem has arrisen from, the garage assures me it was simply remove the old springs and fit the new ones, nothing that effects the hight was touched??

Has anyone any clues or advice?

I didnt have tyres fitted so I can show the guys at Audi the problem should I have to take it in next week.

lucas88
14-03-2009, 12:45 AM
1) Take it back to the garage where you had it done and explain.
2) If you get no joy there, and the ride is definitely too high at the back, get yourself some used springs from ebay or a breakers yard and replace them. They're fairly easy to swap but it does take two people. I replaced my front springs with my mate at the weekend, took a couple hours for each side.

BUUUTTTT,
To be honest, even if the back is much higher than the front, it shouldn't be messing up your tyres so badly. Something has clearly gone wrong.

Beaversport10
14-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi lucas88,

Believe me i've been back to he garage numerous times in order to get this put right with no joy.
I hadn't thought about finding a set of second hands, good shout!!