PDA

View Full Version : Putting it in first gear

irishstoner
13-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Im not sure if this is a problem of just me being paranoide.

If im sitting at traffic lights in neutral gear, when i go to put it in first its a bit hard to engage. I have to push it hard, but if im coming to a stop going down through the gears it just slides in to first no problems.

Same if the the car is swiched off, slides it to first with ease.

Anybody know what thats all about?:beerchug:

murtaghp
13-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Mine is the same. Some times it will go into first gear no problem other times I need to almost force it in.

It always does this from standstill.

Mine is a 2003 1.9TDi 5 sp

irishstoner
13-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Mine is a 2002 1.9TDi 5speed

uk_promonsta
13-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Mine like it as well. same car.

Marco34
13-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Snap

irishstoner
13-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Starting to see a trend here and its putting my mind to rest (all be it somewhat;))

Thanks for the replys lads:beerchug:

rollapig
13-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi guys mine also does this ,do you think that a oil change in the gear box would make a diffence?

lucas88
14-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi all..
When an engine is cold (idling at higher revs than normal), changing down into first is more sticky. Not totally sure why this is to be honest but it's the case for all cars.
If it's just sticky intermittently however, regardless of how warm the engine is, then I've no idea what the problem could be.
Just to be nice to my engine, I allways try to let it warm up for a couple minutes before I drive off untill the idle has dropped to normal revs. (unless I'm in a rush obviously)

irishstoner
14-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi all..
When an engine is cold (idling at higher revs than normal), changing down into first is more sticky. Not totally sure why this is to be honest but it's the case for all cars.
If it's just sticky intermittently however, regardless of how warm the engine is, then I've no idea what the problem could be.
Just to be nice to my engine, I allways try to let it warm up for a couple minutes before I drive off untill the idle has dropped to normal revs. (unless I'm in a rush obviously)

Mine does it warm or cold engine. Its been like that since i got the car which is over a year ago now.

Its been in for a service with an Audi dealership and an indy and neither say anything about it.

Never had the problem with the last car i had (im not saying what it was:D)

Like i say i im just being paro looking for trouble with her;)

Cheers for the reply

B8 TDI
15-03-2009, 08:46 AM
This seems to be a standard thing with Audi's even the new B8's have that issue.