PDA

View Full Version : One front wiper not working,

biggraham
13-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi all

Bit of a strange one I think, had my Altea out yesterday and the wipers were working fine with no problems or anything strange when I parked up last night at home, however this morning when I got into the car only the n/s wiper is working, the driver side didn't move and stayed in the park position in the pillar.
Had a look and it doesn't appear stuck on anything and nothing visable underneath at the linkage, it has just stopped working.
Have taken a quick look at fuses and as far as I can see thay are all fine, however I don't have a diagram of the fusebox to show the position of the relevant fuses.

Where do I start looking for the problem or is it a dealer visit?

Anybody else suffered from one wiper not working?

Thanks
Graham

zollaf
13-03-2009, 10:27 AM
i would say that either the wiper arm is loose where it bolts onto the spindle or the linkage has broken. if you follow the wiper down to the bottom of the arm, there will be a plastic cover over the spindle. pop this off and put the wipers on. if you can see the spindle moving, tighten the bolt. if not you need to look at the linkages below.

biggraham
13-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi zollaf

Thanks for your reply, I have taken a look at the spindle and the linkage and they are fine, the motor doesn't appear to be working so I don't know if it has packed in?
After exhausting my skills I have just taken it to a local garage who will no doubt charge me a fortune :(

xenon
13-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Normally it is one motor that operates both wipers. Are you able to move the o/s wiper by hand?

biggraham
27-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi

Well I have finally got the problem sorted.
The Altea has 2 wiper motors and at first it was thought that the offside motor had gone so a new one was ordered and fitted but didn't solve the problem.

It is now come to light, via Seat, that there are problems with some Altea's with some of the wiring behind the dash rubbing through and breaking the power cable, this was the case with my Altea and what a job that turned out to be.

Anyway thanks for your replies and help

Graham