PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Wierd Vento starting problem

Tall Graham
12-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi all hope you can help.
I have a 1996 Vento 1.8 (ADZ eng) and have a really strange starting problem.
If I leave it overnight and try to start it it will wind over and over when I release the key it fires,but it sounds like its igniting fuel in the exhaust,then I wind it over again and it will pickup on 1 cyl then suddenly fire up,run a bit rich for a few seconds then its fine,can switch off and will start right up,drive it 35 miles to work,do 10 hours get in and fires up fine,leave it over night and same problem.
Any Ideas on that one?!
Many thanks in advance!
Graham

fil1973
12-03-2009, 11:07 PM
when you start cranking the engine are the ignition lights still on???
or have they gone off???

the mk3 golf & vento sometimes have a problem with the electrical block on the back of the ignition,

if this is happening with yours when you crank the engine the single point injection will be squirting fuel into the intake but the ignition fault will be stopping the engine from firing, causing the excess fuel to go into the cylinders & through the exhaust making the car smell rich,
then when it does eventually start the excess fuel will have soaked your spark plugs causing the car to run rough for a while till the cylinders dry out then run fine,

hope this helps & gives you something to go at,

Tall Graham
13-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi
Yes I thought I read somwhere that they had problems with that area,all the lights are on,and today I put some contact oil in there,might try to purchase another one,got some plugs leads rotor and plugs to try too today.
Will keep updated!

Tall Graham
13-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Just changed the plugs,leads,dizzy cap and rotor,and thought I would give it a whirl in the morning,but I decided to take the intake pipe off the injector housing and noticed the injector unit moved quite a bit,well the rubber,spacer/gasketbetween the unit and manifold has split almost in half! and has been like it for a while,so If that dont cure it,god nows!

Tall Graham
15-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Damn thing still the same!