PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and 4th gear missing

theshuffler44
12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
I have just been out at work in my 94 passat cl everthing was going fine untill i pulled away from a junction , the car wouldnt go into second or 4th gear , 1 3 5 and reverse are fine , i imagine something has snapped suddenly as there had ben no prior trouble up to that point and the gear changes were smooth. Any ideas folks? I have just removed the gear stick cover and i can see something like a broken washer lying just out of reach , i think i need to remove the consul to get a better look i have removed the 2 screws either side near the foot wells and 2 plastic nuts which were below the gearstick cover , cant find anymore but the consul wont come out ,

theshuffler44
12-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Just figured out by the removing the back part of the consul around the handbrake by removing the 2 screws below the rear ashtray allows the front consul to slide out. . Now seems the rod is sticking, possibly a frayed cable inside ,which doesnt allow the cable to stretch out to the max . Getting the linkage box out is no easy feat , remove consol around gearstick , get car on ramps remove mid section of exhaust , remove heat reflector there are 2 13m nuts holding the box to the chasis , remove those , remove front nut inside car just where 3rd gear is and 2 ten mm plastic bolds at rear , the box should drop out , under the bonnet the top cable is easily unclipped , another 13mm nut needs removing for second cable , trace back a bit and there are 3 13mm bolts fastening linkage to engine , remove those and gently ease the fitting through the gap and out below the car untill box and cables can be taken away . At the front of the linkage box there are 2 13mm nuts undo those and undo the holding pins inside the box to release the rods , change rod and refit. Hopefully this might help someone in the future.

theshuffler44
13-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Problem solved hopefully another while before i have to do that again