PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Diagnostic Tools for MK3 1.9 TD 1994 ?

tsam19
11-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi
I wasn't sure which sub-heading to post this as I noticed there are two for the dianostic section.
Is it possible to buy any diagnostic equipment that would work on my mk3 golf td 1.9 engine code AAZ 1994 M reg ?
Ive seen a wide range on Ebay all claiming to do allsorts & work on any car but wasn't sure,I know theres 'vag can com' or 'obd2' .
I want something that can work on any other car I may buy in the future also.
I had heard the usb lead type will work with any car on the market but its the software that makes the lead work + can be expensive,is this true ?
So for example if I bought a lead that could work on a VW,+ if I were to change the pc software,I could get the same lead working on a Citreon or similar ?
Can anyone advise me on what to buy + where from ?
Thanks for reading :beerchug:

martin1810
12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
There is no such thing as a system that will work on any car although some costing thousands of pounds can do alot of makes and models but none can do everything.
If you buy a code scanner that is OBD1 or 11 it will only scan emissions codes which are basically a set number of standard codes used by all manufacturers. This type of code reader cannot scan the car for ABS, airbags etc. For VAG cars the best thing is a basic cable from Gendan plus a laptop with shareware from ross-tech. Another route is a cheap hand held scanner. You will find a few recommended on this site. If anyone says their system does everything.....They ain't telling the truth.

tsam19
12-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info,I had a feeling the sellers of certain equipment weren't being honest.
I will look at that site you mentioned.

glen40
21-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I have a query about Gendan, I see they have been mentioned in some posts. I have an Audi Avant B6 2002 1.9tdi. What will work with this and what will it give me.
The Diagnostic Cable at £19.94 and downloading Ross Tech VCDS-Lite Software - will this sort out my airbag light problem - not just turn it off but more importantly diagnose what the problem is, bad connection etc
Looking at the Ross Tech site it says limited if not registered for a lot of the sections, does this matter for general use as opposed to a mechanic using it (I appreciate this is a big variable and yes I would like to be able to utilise all the facilities but at £20 as opposed to £263 it's a big difference)
The chassis code on my car is 8E so it seems the VCDS(VAG-COM) MIcro-Can USB Interface package at £210 will not work anyway and I would have get the HEx-USB-Can Intereface Package at £263 - Is this the full Ross Tech system with support etc as Ross-Tech: VCDS: Function Table (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html)
If I get the£20 Diagnostic cable and use Lite Software can I upgrade to the full version and at what cost or will I have to get a new cable.
Any assistance would be appreciated

martin1810
21-03-2013, 10:50 AM
No you can't buy the cheap cable and update to the newer one later. The newer one is not just a cable it is an intelligent interface. The cheap cable may be ok for your car. It is ok for VW up to roughly 2005 but Audi is more of a problem because they begain making changes before VW did. When you consider how cheap the basic cable is, you may as well buy it and try. If it doesn't give you all functions you will then have to buy the full deal. Don't buy the micro-can, it's pointless. Pay more and get the one that does everything. You will save a lot of money in the long run so £263 isn't expensive at all really.

Doctle Odd
21-03-2013, 11:03 AM
The amount of diagnosis you can do on a 97 Golf is limited anyway so the Gendan cable or a cheap handheld scanner like a VAG405 Autel would be fine.

glen40
21-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Martin1810 Thanks for your reponse, will contact Gendan and chat to them

Doctle Odd - Thanks for response, my car is Audi A4 B6 2002 tdi, i see now I should have created a new podt maybe instead of including under and existing