PDA

View Full Version : vw sarran with black smoke

saabsalltheway!
11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
ive looked at a 1997 sharran 1.9 tdi AFN engine and its heavy black smoke from the exhaust on full load.
new air, fuel and oil filters fitted plus new glow plugs.
also fitted new injectors as old ones was no good.

fault codes found are
00741 brake pedal monitoring implausible signal

00553 mass air flow sensor G70 open or short to ground

00542 needle lift sensor G80 open or short to plus
(i no this has been disconected while the engine was running but cleared the black smoke also lack of power)

17978 engine start blocked by immobaliser
( this could be when the chip fell out the key)

thinking of cleaning throttle body and doing a tba
i no about the air flow meter and want to try other things b4 getting new one.
thanks for any ideas paul

VAGMAN54
12-03-2009, 10:14 PM
think i would have changed air flow meter first that would have been a lot cheaper than injectors,the glow plugs would have only affected the starting,a blocked fuel filter would have showed a lack of power and not black smoke....i would change the air flow meter....if you can look at actual data you should be able to see what its values are.

saabsalltheway!
13-03-2009, 10:09 AM
thanks for the info yes air flow meter will be changed next. all this work was done b4 the chap brought the car and i think it had a air flow fitted then but it could have been an after market one so ive told him to get one from vw.
how do i check the values of the air flow and what should the standard values be. will also look on ross tech wiki later for this info
thanks for the help
paul

i also heard that the old injectors was dead thats why they got changed

paul b
13-03-2009, 08:39 PM
how do i check the values of the air flow and what should the standard values be.
I think everyone would like an answer to that but nobody ever seems to be able to find one! :p

Myself and forum member rrayvon found out for ourselves that pattern MAFs were a waste of time, he fitted it trying to cure a huge flat spot and it just made the car worse.

A few weeks later he PM'd back to say it was the MAF after all, genuine one fitted and all was well.

VAGMAN54
13-03-2009, 09:41 PM
between 2.5 to 3.0 g/s or 12 to 14 kg/hr

saabsalltheway!
14-03-2009, 09:31 AM
thanks everyone
will test it out later and then tell them to get a vw maf
they just dont want to pay out too much for a vw one
thanks paul

paul b
14-03-2009, 01:31 PM
thanks everyone
will test it out later and then tell them to get a vw maf
they just dont want to pay out too much for a vw one
thanks paul
They should expect to pay between £60 and £80 if it helps...

saabsalltheway!
16-03-2009, 11:12 PM
hi all
the owner fitted a new vw air flow meter today but no change still lots of black smoke.
so still not sure what to do.
thanks for your help
paul

andre 2000
17-03-2009, 06:32 AM
In my book black smoke = unburnt fuel.

Fuel additive time?

Seems to work for some on here, then again if it has had new injectors they shouldn't need cleaning......but should help the throttle body and at a fiver is small beer.

:confused:

Otherwise my advice is check it has had a recent cambelt change [you'll want to do this anyway] and go for the good old Italian tune up on your test drive.

If that doesn't do it walk away unless price/history/condition are spot on and you can afford to spend time and money working through the problem.
If you are buying the car because you have lots of kids like me, you don't want them to be breathing the soot in everytime you start up.
Good luck!

If you do buy it stick to decent fuel - by the way, as a new boy on here, anyone have any suggestions what fuels are best for the TDI 130? not neccessarily acceleration but genuine mpg increases?

I used to have a Vectra :mad: CDTI 150 and that used to consistently return 3-4 mpg more on BP super-mega-whatever-it-was-called.

martin1810
17-03-2009, 01:41 PM
hi all
the owner fitted a new vw air flow meter today but no change still lots of black smoke.
so still not sure what to do.
thanks for your help
paul

All that black smoke still sounds like not enough air to burn the fuel. What does it run like if you leave the MAF in place but disconnect its air feed.

saabsalltheway!
17-03-2009, 08:03 PM
All that black smoke still sounds like not enough air to burn the fuel. What does it run like if you leave the MAF in place but disconnect its air feed.

will try this and get back to you should i disconect intake pipe b4 or after the maf
thanks paul

VAGMAN54
17-03-2009, 08:11 PM
have you got any diagnostic equipment to use ? if you disconnect the air feed hose the black smoke should stop because the ecu wont see the signal and reduce the fuel ,did you check the airflow rate to see what it was seeing from the maf ?

martin1810
18-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Saab.
I meant take it off before the MAF so that you know for sure that engine is getting fresh air unhindered. This should not make any difference, but I have heard of rare cases with blocked air induction pipes. You need a vag-com read with the new MAF because it still sounds like the MAF is faulty.

saabsalltheway!
18-03-2009, 06:59 PM
thanks everyone, ive not had chance to look at it again but will check it out at weekend. will do the tests you mentioned as i have hex can cable full registered
thanks for the help
paul

saabsalltheway!
20-03-2009, 08:31 PM
hi all just a quick update the owner has checked the fuel filter and its halff empty so he filled it up and run the car it still smoked checked the filter again and its empty so is this problem down to air getting into the fuel system, all the pipes look ok and are dry so looks like we need to get to the top of the fuel tankto check the pipes up there.
has anyone had a problem with the fuel pipes above the tank b4
thanks for your help
paul

VAGMAN54
20-03-2009, 08:55 PM
i personally havent but what you are saying doesnt go with black smoke,if the vehicle carnt get enough fuel it simply will be underpowered or missfire if air is getting in,i think you are looking in the wrong direction for a black smoke problem,have you checked turbo boost ? air flow readings ?etc

saabsalltheway!
21-03-2009, 09:26 AM
i personally havent but what you are saying doesnt go with black smoke,if the vehicle carnt get enough fuel it simply will be underpowered or missfire if air is getting in,i think you are looking in the wrong direction for a black smoke problem,have you checked turbo boost ? air flow readings ?etc

hi vagman
i was thinking that its air starvation and not fuel but why would the fuel filter keep emptying thanks for your help with this.
the owner has had the injectors checked again and one had a slight dribble not spray (found out he fitted second hand ones) but still the same.
so will try to check the air system tomorrow how do i check boost pressure ive seen maf readings so will be able to find that group again, or i will just keep going through each group till i find boost figures.
thanks paul

saabsalltheway!
21-03-2009, 09:38 AM
well ive just had a text saying the car is ok now it just cleared up on its own. but the last thing to be done was the injector so that could have been the problem all the time
thanks for all your help
paul

also he gave it the italian tune up so sound like the injector flooding a cylinder and filled the exhaust so it all needed burning off

VAGMAN54
22-03-2009, 08:15 PM
sorry for not replying i have been away for the weekend,yes an injector with a poor spray pattern would cause black smoke....if they was second hand you was working blind anyway,but at least its sorted now