PDA

View Full Version : IPOD Link - Best Option?

patomlin76
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi

I've got a B6 Passat, with standard single CD RCD 300 head unit. I've come across so many ipod adapters, it's too confusing!

I would like to have control of the ipod through the head unit, BUT would like the ipod hidden in the glove box or somewhere similar.

Is there an option out there for me? I don't really want to have a dock on view in the car, that's all.

thanks all!

james_tiger_woo
11-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Xcarlink is what you need - although I had a whole bunch of problems with mine and eventually replaced the Head Unit for something that actually works with an iPod properly.

Although it seems that the HU might have been at fault, but that was never proven.

hewitmd
13-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Not an iPod dock response I know - but rather than shell out for an adapter I have burnt MP3 cd's which can be played through the stereo. I can get about 9-10 hours music per CD which is plenty. However this isn't the same as controlling your iPod via the stereo controls.

PGW8000
13-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi,

Having my car for only one month decided that the iPod link was a must. Opted to go for the VW retro fit, took the car in to the local garage and drove out half an hour later with it fitted into the glove box. It works fine and can change playlists OK (and it charges the iPod). Any disadvantages? On the basic VW head unit you cannot see any text re songs/playlists etc. And of course my sons, whenever they are in the passenger seat, keep putting in their pod and never reconnect mine!

Having seen some posts here I would have a go at fitting it myself next time, it does not look too hard. Re the head unit I have seen neat after market headsets fitted in this forum and one day I’ll change that to allow full functionality of the iPod.

I have also just received in the post today an iPod connection etc that fits directly into the back of the car radio in my wife’s car (into the ISO aerial socket). The FM transmitter originally bought never seems to work right and is always being over-ridden by stronger FM radio stations. This one should kill that annoyance. I'll hopefully fit it this weekend. However I did not realise that very few of these units are supplied with full cradle etc. Will have to work out how best to fit it for easy access and remove the danger of fumbling to change songs with the iPod buried in some recess near the gear stick.

Hope this helps (?)

patomlin76
14-03-2009, 12:17 AM
thanks for all the helpful posts.

after a lot of researching I have bought the xcarlink model, so I get access to playlists on my ipod directly through the stereo. The ipod will live in the glovebox rather than on display in the car. it's a bit annoying not having full control with the stereo, but i am going to treat the ipod like a 5-disc changer. each playlist will be an album, or compilation, and will change as regularly as i need it to.

i did look at the dension gateway 100 model (expensive) and the FM model (not full stereo control) but i thought the £80 all in for the xcarlink was hard to beat.

i get the kit next week and the next task is to install it as professionally as possible, without any botch job!

nickmurphy
14-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Hope you have better luck with your Xcarlink kit than me

Despite the website saying that it would work with my Ipod Touch (and paying an extra £5 for it) it doesn't

Many emails later to Xcarlink they eventually said that there wasn't full functionality with the Touch and gave me £5 as a goodwill gesture!

Although I can play my Pod through the headphone socket input on the Xcarlink unit, it doesn't charge and there's no control on the head unit

patomlin76
14-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Hope you have better luck with your Xcarlink kit than me

Despite the website saying that it would work with my Ipod Touch (and paying an extra £5 for it) it doesn't

Many emails later to Xcarlink they eventually said that there wasn't full functionality with the Touch and gave me £5 as a goodwill gesture!

Although I can play my Pod through the headphone socket input on the Xcarlink unit, it doesn't charge and there's no control on the head unit
i hope i get better luck too! although i am using an ipod which is a couple of years old, so there won't be any compatibility problems with that.

with regards to installing, will it be easier to feed through to the glove box? or to the compartment below the start button and parking brake button?

nickmurphy
15-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Patomlin

I routed the lead down the centre console to exit by the passenger seat, and then into the centre cubby. If I could be bothered I would take off the console and drill a hole in the bottom to feed the lead through but this arrangement is just as convenient and unobtrusive

onzarob
16-03-2009, 09:47 AM
This will also do the trick ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270359005019&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

patomlin76
21-03-2009, 07:14 PM
just a quick update. i got the xcarlink through the post today and installed it with ease. I'd read enough about how to remove the console trim and radio to do it with an ounce of confidence. I didn''t have to disconnect the airbag light so that was never a problem.

I did however have problems deciding where to route the ipod too. the glovebox was too tricky - it would have to have been completely removed to work, and the lead length meant that the centre console was out of the question. So with very little effort I managed to thread the lead under the steering column and through to the drivers side stowage compartment. It's even better there than the glovebox as I can access the ipod if I need to quite easily.

When I connect the ipod I get the VW logo which is quite nice, and i've organised the ipod in itunes to have 6 playlists. so in effect it is a 6 CD MP3 player. All this for £80 isn't too bad - the dension ice link would have cost me £60 more.

james_tiger_woo
22-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I routed my xcarlink in to the glove box - without removing it - it was tricky but possible. Honest :)

ETA - I got rid of it about 4 months later for a new HU though :)

Dave A S
11-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks to all for the thread! I have just received an Xcarlink for my 56 plate B6 Passat, I would like to fit the Xcarlink box so that the Aux in socket is still available. Has anyone put the link Box in the glove box or the drivers side box, if not where did you hide it, please?
Dave

patomlin76
11-05-2011, 12:04 PM
My xcarlink recently went faulty, in that it was somehow interfering with FM reception through one way or the other - and I could never find a ground that was perfect. I will be selling this as I'm sure this is more to do with the MFD2 than anything - it was fine with the RCD300.

I now have a direct Aux connection from the MFD2's a/v connector, which links to my iphone. Unfortunately it doesn't charge it, nor can I control from the headunit, however for £8.99 I couldn't go wrong with it. Anyways, with xcarlink I always found the 5 playlists to be a bit limiting, at least now I have the whole collection to play with.

I think the more recent RCD stereos, and stereos in other cars nowadays, are much more suited to direct ipod/iphone connection - some like the higher range BMWs have proper iphone docks in the armrest so you get complete functionality through the car stereo.

Paul

Dave A S
11-05-2011, 10:25 PM
I am pleased to say I have done it! James_Tiger_Woo said he had run the cable from the glove box, tricky but do-able. I can report that I am in total agreement with him.
Curtain wire to find a way through, that was then pulled out with string attached. The string was then tied to the end of the wire and bound with insulation tape. The string was used to pull the cable through, and with fingers over the top of the back of the glove box, a bit of wriggling and the connectors were eased through. Simple job to connect up to radio and I now have an I-pod playing radio. everything works even with the engine running!!!!
So pleased and excited, yes I know I am a sad old bloke!

Dave