PDA

View Full Version : Water in Driver's footwell

julee
15-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Hello all,

I have a late 2000 (new shape) Sharan 1.9TDI SE Tiptronic which over the last month has started to have soaking wet carpets in the driver's footwell.

I have seen from others that this could be caused by blocked drainage pipes from the screen down through to the wheelarch. I have had a local garage blow these through and have aslo visibaly checked that they are clear by watching the water flow out.

The car last week had a major service/cam belt/air con problem carried out by my local VW dealership. While it was in we also asked them to look at the water leak. Guess what after having it for 5 days of which 2 days was spent trying to find the problem they reported that yes it did have a leak but no they could not find the problem and would require the car back for further extensive tests. Apparantly all grommets/drainage holes under the car were fine.
As last weeks works cost just over £900 I am not too keen to end up with another large bill.

Does anyone have a similar problem or could someone point me in the direction of where to start looking. My husband did lift the carpets to remove most of the water but is unsure how to remove them completely.

Many thanks
Julee

Sam
15-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Welcome aboard!

If you have a sunroof it could be blocked sunroof drains.

It could be the pollen filter, though I'm not sure if it's in the same location as the Passat.

It could be the heater matrix but you'd have other related problems.

As for removing the carpets fully, this can't be done without first removing the seats.

The link in my signature takes you to a write up of common water ingress problems for the Passat. This may be of some use.

julee
16-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks Sam

No we don't have a sun roof.
I'll get my husband to check the pollen filter as this seems to be a cause for lots of other folks troubles.
Cheers
Julee

julee
03-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Hello all

my husband removed the carpets and thick rubber underlay which was soaking wet.
Dried out the residual water on the floor. Poured some water down the bottom of the windscren on the drivers side and first checked that was coming through the drainage pipes. All ok.
Checked inide the car and water was seeping up through the metal joints of the floor and wheel arch by the throttle pedal. Checked underneath but no sign of hole.

He sealed up using bitumen on the outside wheelarch and on the inside along the whole joint.
Hey presto no more water coming in.

Considering the VW Dealer had the carpets up (for 2 days) and couldn't find the problem.....well what can I say......best pop along to "spec savers" !!

:biglaugh:

Sam
03-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for returning to finalise the post.

Glad you got it sorted.