PDA

View Full Version : Question 2.0 petrol Engine Oil

solskjaer99
10-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Folks,

Anyone know if the 2.0 (not FSI) petrol drinks oil?

Was driving to work and the Low Oil warning came in. I had checked it 5 days earlier and it was fine on the dipstick. drove to Barrow in Furness and back (360miles r/t) then went to Loch Lomond (60miles r/t) and was driving to aberdeen when it came on.

Engine needed 1 Litre of oil to bring it back to middle of scale on dipstick and just wondered if anyone has come across anything similar?

Sam
10-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Any oil in the header tank?

Any oil on the undertray?

Sounds like your oil cooler may be up the spout

solskjaer99
10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
It was dark when i had to top it up, and now its been sitting at the airport for 2 weeks!

Had a mate go check if there was a puddle underneath the car in the car park and he said its clear so if there is a leak then it aint external when the car is sitting static.

as for the tank / tray I have no idea! wondering whether or not i need the AA waiting for me at the airport?

yagayo83
10-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I've a 2.0 petrol aswell and I would say I put around 800ml of oil every 1100 miles and I have had the car for over a year,,it seems to be runnin fine it's the heaviest car on oil I've ever owned

STEWY L
10-03-2009, 11:43 PM
It was dark when i had to top it up, and now its been sitting at the airport for 2 weeks!

Had a mate go check if there was a puddle underneath the car in the car park and he said its clear so if there is a leak then it aint external when the car is sitting static.

as for the tank / tray I have no idea! wondering whether or not i need the AA waiting for me at the airport?
if the cars standing still,engine stopped, then the only oil leak that could possibly be visible would be through the sump plug!
you don't need the AA,you only need to check the level,and the coolant expansion tank.
the oil level needs to be within the range,and you want no signs of brown stuff in the coolant.
if the oil is down,then top it up and drive home.
regards,
stewy.

Passat2003
11-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Folks,

Anyone know if the 2.0 (not FSI) petrol drinks oil?

Was driving to work and the Low Oil warning came in. I had checked it 5 days earlier and it was fine on the dipstick. drove to Barrow in Furness and back (360miles r/t) then went to Loch Lomond (60miles r/t) and was driving to aberdeen when it came on.

Engine needed 1 Litre of oil to bring it back to middle of scale on dipstick and just wondered if anyone has come across anything similar?

Yes miine needs topping up about every 750 miles and the engine is in perfect condition, car previously owned by a retired disabled Bank manager ! with less than 50.000 on.

solskjaer99
11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't be concerned but i think ive put in about 0.5 Litre in the 12k miles ive owned it (There was a service in between mind!!!)

So was a bit freaked out when the warning lamp came in. Will see how i get on the mora when i get back from this steely hell hole in the sea!

suped
12-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I also have the 2.0L and noticed high consumption of engine oil - car drives totally fine though.
I had a full service in Aug 2008 but about 5 months later the warning light came on. I was quite suprised too as I only use the car for weekends to do short distances. Topped it up with 1/2 ltr and its been fine since.

These engine get very hot easily so might be something to do with why it burns the oil so quickly.

Which engine oils did you all use out of interest?
I used 5w40 but have been told it might be alittle thin.
Would it be a good idea to use 15w40 which is thicker and might be better in the warmer weather and might last a little longer????