PDA

View Full Version : How to change V6 4Motion spark plugs - help please!

boycie
14-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Dear all, I'm well experienced with performance Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 Golfs, technically and mechanically, but I have recently bought a Golf Mk4 V6 4Motion, with which has now done 80K miles and is ready for a full service. I have decided to do this work myself, but I have come unstuck on what I would expect to be a simple task - removing the old spark plugs, or more specifically, the coil packs and HT lead connections! Please could someone with this experience explain how to remove the HT lead and coil pack from the spark plugs (I don't want to pull to hard on the coil pack in case I should be releasing it properly, in some other way)?

spike1482
15-03-2007, 12:14 PM
The HT Leads will just pull off under pressure...i have recently changed my coil pack and ht leads with no problem.....although i couldn't remember the sequence the HT leads go went back which was a bit of problem:aargh4:

boycie
16-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks a lot for this... I assume you disconnect the electrical connector first, then grab the best hold you can get on the coil pack, then just pull upwards?

boycie
18-03-2007, 05:48 PM
I've got it all sorted now! Don't know what I was faffing about for. They just pull out - of course! I did struggle to actually get a hold of each one, some were easier that others, mostly because of the angles they project into the cylinders I suppose (it is a compact V6 engine after all!). I turned them left and right a little first, then teased them gently upwards until they gave way and popped out. I cracked and chipped one or two of the plastic connector housings unfortunately (which I noticed had happened to the last person to service it too), although the damage was small and superficial. I guess this is because I didn't have use of an official VW for the pulling job, and, that the plastic itself was fatigued with age. The new plugs are in now though - so that is another job off the list!