PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from under 1.9 tdi Sharan

mike
19-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Hi, I am new to this forum and hope that somebody can help me with a completely new problem with my Sharan, I say completely new as I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle since I bought it. It is a T Reg. 1.9 tdi 110 model. I started from cold and drove approx 10 miles, when I reached my destination there was a lot of smoke coming from underneath my Sharan, so much smoke that it looked liike a bonfire had been lit underneath it! I looked underneath and it seemed to be coming from a small, secondary exhaust that I did not even know was there. I then drove a couple more miles, delivered a fridge to my mother in law and drove home again with no more smoke at all. Has anyone else had this problem, does anyone know what caused it? I would appreciate any help before I have to once again take it to my local garage. I also have to ask, did I buy a lemon or is the Sharan known for problems? I chose VW because of its supposed reliability, I will think again when I change vehicles as I have never owned a vehicle with so many defects before this one.

stuart
19-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Silly question, Does your sharan have the auxilery heater in the rear? if so, I belive this is diesel powered, and has a small exhaust which exits beneath the car.

Stuart

mike
22-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Silly question, Does your sharan have the auxilery heater in the rear? if so, I belive this is diesel powered, and has a small exhaust which exits beneath the car.

Stuart

Thank you Stuart, I think you have just solved the problem! The rear heater is not working properly so I suppose this is what is causing all the smoke. Many, many thanks and a Happy Christmas to you too.