PDA

View Full Version : New turbo but now no power

brianRR
08-03-2009, 06:03 PM
The turbo failed on my 2001 A4 1.9 tdi last week,so a friend changed it for me.He also had to clean out all the inlet pipes and the intercooler as they were full of oil.Anyway after putting it back together he left it running to see if all was well and then noticed that there was oil pouring out of the tailpipe all over the floor.We checked the oil(had just changed it at same time as turbo) and found the level was ok so presume it was oil from when the turbo failed which has been pushed through the exhaust,i would say maybe 1 litre came out the back onto the floor.
Later on after the oil was mopped up he took it out for a spin,went ok for a few hundred metres but when he gave it some stick it goes into 'limp home mode',essentially cutting the turbo.Borrowed a code reader from someone and this code is coming up

17964 1556 35-10
charge pressure control : negative deviation

could it be anything to do with the exhaust having had(and probably still having some) oil in it?He can't go and get the manual for the code reader until tuesday so i was hoping that someone would be able to help beforehand.cheers

spartacus 68
08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
What about oil contamination of the cat?

brianRR
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
yeah i wondered about that but someone reckoned it would burn it all off and be ok?:confused::confused:

Crasher
08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
You have a vacuum leak in the turbo control system, should be easy to track down. Either that or he has made a mistake in the vacuum pipe routing.

B8 TDI
08-03-2009, 08:14 PM
A clogged cat with so much oil having gone through it can cause a back pressure issue, and may lead to engine damage, you may want to have it looked at.