PDA

View Full Version : Golf tdi questions

TDI Chris
08-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi, this is my first post here!

I recently bought a 54 plate Golf 1.9 Tdi. So far I have enjoyed the car and am a diesel convert. However, there are a couple of niggles that I hope someone can help me with.

The stereo. It's in for repair at the moment but the auto electric place can't find anything wrong with it. For some reason when I switch it on there is often no sound even though all the display comes up fine. It doesn't happen all the time and if I switch off the ignition and re-start the engine it works okay. Weird!

Even stranger....Last night I looked out of the window and the headlights were on. I thought I must have left them on by mistake. Then when I went down to look they were off again. The car was locked up and the light switch in the off position. I hadn't used the car for hours. It's the SE model with automatic lights but I can't think why they would just come on for no reason in the middle of the night.

Is my car haunted or could there be some reasonable explanations???:D

Thanks in advance.

Chris

towcestervag
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
your headlights on the switch there is a setting for the lights to stay on for a period of time then switch off
its the second posistion on the switch
ie 1st pos =off
2nd pos =delay
3rd pos =side
4th pos =dip

TDI Chris
08-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have been finding out various things today from reading this forum. Annoyingly the handbook which explains the controls is missing. Any idea where I can get a new one?

Now, here's the thing with the lights. I know what all the light positions do. Not sure that I like the auto-lights so I just use poitions 1, 3 and 4. When I parked up last night at about 7pm I left it in the off position. As I entered my house the lights were off. It was several hours later (about midnight) when I noticed the lights were back on! As I said, by the time I got downstairs to the front door they were off again.

Any thoughts on the stereo?

I guess I must have some electrical gremlins that the previous owner forgot to tell me about.:mad:

towcestervag
08-03-2009, 07:49 PM
poss light sensor fault with your lights this is part of the rain sensor
get diag test done and they used to be adaptable
the radio can be diag tested as well but if you set up the gala etc this should cure
the hand book should be avail from VW or check ebay

TDI Chris
08-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks towcestervag.

I will see how I get on when the radio is refitted this week. Also will keep an eye on the lights. If it keeps doing it I'll have to take it down to VW to check it out. Just wanted conformation that I wasn't going mad.

TDI Chris
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
the radio can be diag tested as well but if you set up the gala etc this should cure

Could I just ask what you mean by "set up the gala etc"?

Ben
08-03-2009, 08:45 PM
gala is speed sensitive volume. The faster you go the louder it gets. You can alter its sensitivity in the radio settings.

TDI Chris
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Okay, I think I have solved the phantom lights mystery. Now I feel a bit silly.

I was thinking about what causes the lights to come on and worked out that this happens when you unlock the car in the dark. As I got up out of bed I must have stepped on my jeans (which were on the floor). The keys were in my jeans pocket and I think I must have activated the door button by accident! Didn't think the remote locking would be that sensitive but when I tried it again from my bedroom it worked. I will have to watch that.

The Fingers
10-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I have had the same issue with the RCD300 in a passat

I mentioned it turning on but no sound every now and again, as mentioned turn car off and on again and all is fine.

Anyway, they did a diag at VW and replaced under warranty, seems fine since.

They said it was a common fault with the RCD300 and couldnt explain it.

TDI Chris
10-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Hmmmm.. I think I may be out of luck with this one then. I am using an independant auto electrician at the moment. They have removed the stereo and done some tests on it and so far can't find anything wrong with it. They said the fault is likely to be something to do with the car rather than the stereo. I doubt that from what has been said here. I did wonder if it had anything to do with the aerial or reception because it's like what happens when you go through a tunnel and lose reception. Unfortunately the car is nearly 5 years old and I bought it privately so I couldn't get it replaced. Given the cost of a new one I think I will just live with it.

Thanks for the help anyway.

The Fingers
10-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Have you got a hands free fitted (ie parrot), my new one (RCD 300) has actually done it once since, i know that parrot kits have three phone mute cables (only one needed) i changed to another one and its not done it since.

I guess your symptoms are the same as mine was, stereo on screen says radio station, but no volume control or sound out of speakers, turn car off and on again, all fine for a few days, mine did it about every 15 - 20 starts.

Mine did actually throw a fault code (dont ask haven't got a clue what it was)when hooked up, as you know VW have the attitude like her off Little Britain, computer says NO, so no fault, i was surprised when they said, aaaahhhh computer says YES, fit new stereo.

I think i may be one of those 'have to live with issues' as the replacements they sell on e-bay are usually duffers anyway, i think most are selling warranty replacements which have faults, in most cases CD player issues. I know 3 people that have bought duffers offof e-bay, 2 RCD 300 (mp3 version) CD players goosed, 1 RNS510 from lithuainia touch screen had about 50 dead pixels:zx11:

These radio's come out that easy, find a mate with a golf, ask him to have a look at this strange thing in your boot, quick push and a slam. Swap radio's.......:biglaugh: then chuckly when he say's there something up with me radio......

TDI Chris
10-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I wonder if it might be worth buying a second hand unit from somewhere. They seem to have a few RCD300's on ebay for around £60 which seems reasonable. The electrics place told me that removing and refitting the stereo is not straight forward as you need to remove some of the dash trim. Is this true or are they spinning me a line to charge me extra labour? They said it takes almost an hour to refit the stereo.

TDI Chris
10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Fingers, we must have posted at the same time.

Thanks for the help!

TDI Chris
10-03-2009, 02:56 PM
So ebay is a bad idea?

Had a feeling it would be. I have been stung with dodgy electrical gear in the past.

You say it's easy to take the stereo out and refit though? Sounds like this garage is having me on!

Ben
10-03-2009, 03:18 PM
it is easy, i have writted a comprehensive guide on the process, it is on this very forum.

It has helped many, many people <tries not to sound like capt. Lassard from Police Acadamy>

The Fingers
10-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I know on the golf it is a little harder than the passats, i can get the radio out of the passat in about 2 mins (stop watch out torx driver in hand - GO:biglaugh:) - yes under 2 mins. (pull trim off round edge, four screws - its out)

With the golf its a little harder but i would say for a like for like swap - out then back in - all of about 10 - 15 mins.

Start at the tray on top of dash then the trim all comes off as you work your way down. It definatley not an hour - thats a charge by the hour hour isnt it. As mentioned above i have looked at the thread he has done before on removing the stereo in the golf and you cant go wrong (well writted)

E-bay should be fine as long as you have traceability, also try WWW.EBAY.DE (http://www.EBAY.DE), the DE gives it away but its the german issue and although all in german (go figure) you can get a lot of stuff that doesnt seem to come up in the uk or if it does its mega bucks, its generally cheaper too (well when our currency is not the laughing stock of the world that is) multi function steering wheels, dynaudio kit, stereo's etc etc.

I usually translate (babelfish) the word i am looking for and then do a search (ie steering wheel - Lenkrad)

E-bay Rule Number One - Check their feed back carefully

I re read your first thread and had to laugh, i stood on my keys one night and.................... go out in the morning and the boot was open with a cat asleep on my coat (guard cat):biglaugh:

Mini Mark
10-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I have a question I think I've read somewhere that the 1.9 TDI SE have auto wipers is this right how do you know if the car has it? My cars a 54 plate I think it may be a late 2004 car as it has the chrome glove box handle, gear leaver collar and Hand brake button

The Fingers
10-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I have a question I think I've read somewhere that the 1.9 TDI SE have auto wipers is this right how do you know if the car has it? My cars a 54 plate I think it may be a late 2004 car as it has the chrome glove box handle, gear leaver collar and Hand brake button

It should have the rain sensor built into the rear view mirror i think with a light on it, the mirror then has a section linked to the windscreen (rain sensor here)

If its got auto wipers then it should also have the auto lights, your switch should have a setting saying 'auto'

Mini Mark
10-03-2009, 05:18 PM
It's got Auto lights there are 2 little squares under the rear view mirror on glows green the one the the left I think the other one doesn't glow

Ben
10-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes, it sounds like you do.

The green LED indicates that the auto dimming rear view interior mirror is on, to turn it off there is a button on the base of the mirror.

The rain sensor and auto lights sensor are both built in to the unit that is stuck top dead centre to the windscreen

this is mine

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/10032009915.jpg

to test if it works in daylight, cover it with your hand and unlock the car, the headlights should come on as it thinks its dark.

also,

set the wipers to intermittant, wet your finger and touch the sensor area, the wipers should activate.

TDI Chris
10-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Mini Mark, I wondered about the auto-wipers too. The guy who sold it to me said it didn't have them. He told me that the slider on the wiper stalk altered the speed of the intermittant wipers. Turns out it does have them after all. A little searching on this forum told me that the slider opperates the sensitivity of the auto-wipers. I had a chance to test it today as rain was on and off. It works really well. I have it in the least sensitive position which seems to be fine. I wonder if that slider has any affect on the auto-lights as well?

onzarob
10-03-2009, 10:19 PM
It only effects the wipers, the auto function is on from when the wipers are switched on the first click up. At the beginning of each drive you need to switch off and on the wipers to enable auto wipers ;)

Mini Mark
10-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm learning all the time.:D

Just need to sort out the cd changer now and get the stone chips and scratches sorted out and all will be well oh and the rattle a low revs I think it,s the cover under the engine

onzarob
10-03-2009, 11:59 PM
oh and the rattle a low revs I think it,s the cover under the engine

Mines doing that too;)

Mini Mark
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Would a diagnostic check tell my why the cd changer isn't working?

onzarob
11-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Would a diagnostic check tell my why the cd changer isn't working?

Yes it will give you an idea. the radio is part of the diagnostic bus :)

Mini Mark
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes it will give you an idea. the radio is part of the diagnostic bus :)

cool will ask the garage next door to work to have a look when they get chance as the radio says the changer is there but no cd is present but the changer doesn't light up and I can not get it to take any cd's :(:confused:

I think the MOT is due so I'll get it checked then (in fact it may be over due:aargh4: not sure as only had the car since Dec....

TDI Chris
11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I have a few trim rattles which vary depending on speed and rpm. Annoyingly the worst ones are 30mph in 4th and 40mph in 5th! I guess it's all part of diesel ownership. It isn't half noisy compared to my petrol Focus. Still, it's worth it for the extra torque and economy.

onzarob
11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
cool will ask the garage next door to work to have a look when they get chance as the radio says the changer is there but no cd is present but the changer doesn't light up and I can not get it to take any cd's :(:confused:

That sounds like a power issue, the radio is coded to recognise the cd so that why you can see it, but no lights usually meean no power.

I think the MOT is due so I'll get it checked then (in fact it may be over due:aargh4: not sure as only had the car since Dec....

I had my car since Feb and I know exactly when the MOT is due, shame on you, no excuses ;):biglaugh:

Mini Mark
11-03-2009, 04:29 PM
That sounds like a power issue, the radio is coded to recognise the cd so that why you can see it, but no lights usually meean no power.

I had my car since Feb and I know exactly when the MOT is due, shame on you, no excuses ;):biglaugh:

I've checked the fuses but that was a job as I had 2 different fuse diagrams showing the fuses in different places :confused::confused:

Well I know when the one on the Mini is due as it always falls around my birthday

Trouble is ben busy trying to get the house ready to move into and sort ot stuff we need for that my brain is in overdrive and some little so and so broke in last week and nicked some of the tools:zx11::mad: oh well will get it checked tonight and mot'd tomorrow if I need to:confused:

onzarob
11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I have a few trim rattles which vary depending on speed and rpm. Annoyingly the worst ones are 30mph in 4th and 40mph in 5th! I guess it's all part of diesel ownership. It isn't half noisy compared to my petrol Focus. Still, it's worth it for the extra torque and economy.

Yes Diesel, even the quite ones are still noisy, I drive my wife CRV and I always stall it because i forget it running. I have a few squeaks etc, but i don't worry unless the distract me from the music ;)

I've checked the fuses but that was a job as I had 2 different fuse diagrams showing the fuses in different places :confused::confused:

I only got the Haynes manual which isnt bad, they should be the fuses in the side of the dash, I haven't looked at mine but isn't there a description there too?

Shame I'm not closer I could of done a scan for you, I need to check mine tonight as the display is showing service now.....last time I check it was on long-life and done 200 miles :confused: I done 800ish since:confused::confused::confused:

TDI Chris
14-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Well the stereo went back in yesterday morning and so far so good, it's worked every time!

Looks like Friday 13th was lucky for me after all.

onzarob
14-03-2009, 09:00 PM
sounds like you had a dodgy connection, cool that is works now :D