PDA

View Full Version : is key freq same mk5 and audi a3?

redcliff
07-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Do the audi a3 keys have the same frequency as the mk5 golf?

i want to buy the audi waterproof key (which also includes a imob chip + cancels alarm when placed in the ignition + drives the car) as it offers better security than...

On my last golf i was sold a VW 'surf key' that is a small plastic blade and opens the door fine.....But if you have set the alarm - you cannot silence it when you open the door or drive the car using the key. (- i was told this had no imob chip:(.)

This proved a rubbish solution and I ended up taking 1/2 my remote key for a swim instead to avoid leaving an ignition key in the car.- rust and sand in mechanism and it no longer flicked rice at mates down the indian.:D

So does anyone know if can i buy a key from audi and have them (if willing) program that key for my golf mk5 ?

or skoda?

thanks

Friendly M. Tec
07-03-2009, 11:47 PM
The key remote frequency of the Audi usually differs to that of a VW remote (different frequency), this is despite the key remote being manufactred by the same company Hella.

As regards to ordering replacment keys: this has to be done by your local dealer who have access to your vehicle's unique key no. so that the profile of the key (which comes pre-cut) fits the lock. An Audi dealer can no longer order a VW key and vice versa.:(

I hope this helps.

:Blush:
Friendly Master Tech

redcliff
08-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for reply

Audi is out then.

Was i correctly informed that the "surf key" (plastic blade from vw dealer £40) does not have a transponder? or could i get one of these again and have it programmed?

Is there a key i can buy with a transponder and no remote?
I think skoda do one - but is it compatible?
seat - ?

onzarob
08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Was i correctly informed that the "surf key" (plastic blade from vw dealer £40) does not have a transponder? or could i get one of these again and have it programmed?

I always thought the black key was the service key, anyway, they wouldn't start the car if it didn't have a chip in it. I had to match mine in because the dealer forgotten to do it.

I see you surfers are more careful now...I used to hide my key under.......(top secret)

:D

ini
08-03-2009, 06:56 PM
The small plastic 'spare' key for wallets etc, does contain a chip for the immob.

Physically unlocking the drivers door is what deactivates the alarm.

Early VW's and Audi's used the same type of basic immob chips in the keys, but later cars (most MK5 etc) use a different immob chip. So an Audi 'spare' key can not be sysnced to the Mk5 Golf dash.

VW should be able to provide you with a wallet style key for your Mk5.

redcliff
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
The small plastic 'spare' key for wallets etc, does contain a chip for the immob.

Physically unlocking the drivers door is what deactivates the alarm.

VW should be able to provide you with a wallet style key for your Mk5.

The alarm is silenced on my car by placing the transponder key into the ignition within 30 seconds of the door being unlocked using the blade. I would do this with my “half key” or fumble with cold hands and be too slow :o. Just opening the door wouldnt do it.

The plastic key that my dealer sold to me (£40) with my last mk5 golf would not silence the alarm as the dash detected a dodgy key then set off the alarm immediately anyway. May be the dealer had just not programmed the key transponder as he didn’t know it had one.

"The small plastic 'spare' key for wallets etc, does contain a chip for the immob."

I hope this is true as a solution will be mine at last! (after another £40)
But my dealer needs some help I thinks.

Does anyone have the vw part number of the plastic key containing the transponder so I can check it against the one I ordered last time or get the correct one for my new car. (And politely educate the spares people?)

Many thanks