PDA

View Full Version : Frint wiper motor removal on slow wipers

reallyfree
07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
With risk of getting blamed for not searching thoroughly; can anyone help with the above? I have found this http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc44.shtml
but it is for B5 and not B6 and i think it is different.

I have removed the wiper arms and 3 screws from ECU cover but stuck on the plastic trim removal under the arms which lets me remove the 4th and get to the linkage. There are no fixings but it seems to be glued to the screen rubber which i have started to drag out from under the screen (i hate leaks!).

Somebody said there is a procedure here but i cant find it.

reallyfree
07-03-2009, 01:55 PM
OK. Out of frustration i used some brute force. The screen rubber eventually freed from the plastic trim and it pulled out.

There was a 5th screw by the way on the ECU cover and removal gave some more room.

Next stage to remove the motor/linkage. This is a real chinese puzzle. The bottom lug on the ECU housing and the brake fluid pipe are both in the way. The B5 procedure suggests parking the wipers to central position before removal which is fine if they are not seized. I found i had to lever off the linkage knuckle at each end and rotate the arms/links out of the way. Eventually with some jiggling about, brute force, grazed knuckles the whole assembly came out but not sure if i can describe quite how here - just persist and you will be rewarded.

OK i have a replacement linkage from a breaker to refit. Should be a breeze!!! Be back in 2 hours

Braveheart1981
07-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Sounds like the same carry on I had doing mine 2 weeks ago although once I got the linkage out I just stripped it down greased it and put it back together and it works like new.

I've just spent the afternoon wrestling with mine to change the alternator pulley. Managed it without resorting to a front end strip thankfully.