PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system knackered!

nanafagis
06-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I need advice! My coolant light came on and i pulled off the motorway. I stopped in the nearest garage about 10 miles down the road and popped the bonnet.

Coolant all over the engine bay, coolant tank was empty so i added water - which bubbled out for 5 minutes or so due to the heat.

Turns out loose wires (i think my coolant sensor) have dangled into my fan and snapped the propellors clean off!! there was only one blade left on the fan and the wire torn to pieces.

The garage i stopped at is pretty certain that the wires should have been fastened away from the engine and that these are the cause of the damage.

I had "Repairs" done at another garage in january and i know that the whole front end had been removed and put back together. This seems to be the 3rd problem caused by the so called "repairs." When i first got it back the washer bottle had a split and i had an oil leak due to a loose pipe. which i sorted myself. Oh and a grille snapped off and stuck back on and bonnet cable broken.

Only this one is serious!

Going to pick the car up later just hoping the head gasket hasn't gone cos i drove 10-15 miles to get to the garage after the light came on. And it was bloooooomin hot

Though i'm starting to think that with my luck on this car it's 100% certain that more damage will have occured.

So, looking at the immediate visible damage how much is it gong to cost for new fan, new radiator, coolant temp sender & wires? (hoping the top end is fine) on a 2002 A4 2.5tdi