PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

daled
06-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Can anyone recommend the best brand / make of tyre to use on the 1.9 TDi SE (July 2002) saloon for wear and roadholding.

Just passed an MOT at 150000 miles, still going like a train and averaging 48 - 50 to the gallon but regrettably will need 4 new tyres as I only have approx 0.4mm left on each one

Thanks

Marco34
06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Can anyone recommend the best brand / make of tyre to use on the 1.9 TDi SE (July 2002) saloon for wear and roadholding.

Just passed an MOT at 150000 miles, still going like a train and averaging 48 - 50 to the gallon but regrettably will need 4 new tyres as I only have approx 0.4mm left on each one

Thanks

What size? If there standard 16" then I found Michelin primacy good alrounders. I put 17" on the car last year and they came with Pirelli P zero Rosso. They are supposed to wear quick but ok for me so far. Excellent grip in wet and dry, quiet too. Better than the Michelins as they are a performance tyre. I've had Dunlop and would steer clear of those.

danclyon
06-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks

You mean 1.6+0.4 one assumes - unless you are running on slicks ;-)

I use the Dunlops that came from the factory (SP Sport 9090's 234/45/R17) but next time round which will be somewhere around the next service in 10k miles or so it'll be a set of Falken FK452's on there as apparently they are just as good, but are 2/3 the price....

Cheers,
Dan.

spartacus 68
07-03-2009, 12:52 AM
I put Dunlop Sport 2 (205/55/VR16) on mine. £85 a corner (including VAT) and good for 18k miles.:D

Beaversport10
13-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I've run Falkens FK452's on my a4 tdi, done loads of miles and great in both wet and dry. Times up for some new ones and i'm getting the same! www.Blackcircles.com do the best deals for me, fitted at your choice of used centers to!

churp
15-03-2009, 01:02 PM
i prefer harder walled tyres such as goodyear, i just feel stuff like michelin being softer walled make my car more jittery/ less predictable on harder cornering.

kiptaylor
15-03-2009, 01:55 PM
replaced a full set on my car in january and it was a toss-up between falken fk-452's and kumho ecsta.opted for the kumho's after much consideration and have no regrets so far,they are good in wet and dry and are claimed to be long-lasting,but only time will tell on that one.the only negative i can see is a minimal increase in road-noise compared to the previous michelins but this could be because they are quite new.
got them from blackcircles as mentioned previously for £330 fitted and can't fault their service.

hope you find this useful, kip

Clinterous
15-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Continental Sport Contact 2 (or newer version 3). The tread pattern is quite aggressive, so I found the steering became more direct and reduced understeer. On the motorway they keep the car tracking really straight without any wandering. They retain their qualities in the wet also.

I very recently stuck on a pair of Continental Premium Contacts, just to try them out as an alternative - a big mistake as the car understeers and wanders on the motorway. Luckily I aquired them at reduced, so they're coming off next month for Sport Contacts.

Audichap
16-03-2009, 09:53 AM
I've just replaced my Pirelli P6000's for another set of them. They must be a hard tyre as I did 28k before the MOT picked up that they were almost illegal. :Blush2:
Got them for £71 a corner. :beerchug:

suped
16-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent place for tyres in central London or NW London area who are good on price, does tracking and reliable?

I need to change all 4 corners so not going to be cheap.

Not sure I really trust places like Kwik Fit.

Thanks

Beaversport10
17-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Suped,

Go to Blackcircles.com, input your tyre sizes, select the tyre you want, select fully fitted and pick a fitting center within 15 miles of you.

Blackcircles deliver the tyres to your chosen fitting centre, pay them to fit the tyres and ditch the old ones. All you do is drive in have them fitted and drive out. Easy and very good prices!!