PDA

View Full Version : Question I'm an idiot, what is this?

Browboy
05-03-2009, 07:27 PM
First of all I'll say I know nothing about cars so be gentle with me. My car is a 56, 2 litre Jetta TDI.

I noticed something wrong with this component of my cars engine but I don't know what it's called or what it does. One of the tubes that feeds into it has a small tear and is leaking fuel or oil. It has caused no noticeable problem to the car. My car is due to be serviced and I would like to be able to tell them what the problem is and not just point at it and say This thing is broke; thereby making it apparent I'm an idiot.

Can someone help me out by answering the following;

What is it called?
What does it do?
Is the tear dangerous?
Is it expensive to repair?
Should it be covered by the manufacturers warranty?

Many thanks in advance.

sbt
05-03-2009, 07:52 PM
its a diesel fuel filter

onzarob
05-03-2009, 09:33 PM
What is it called?
What does it do?
Is the tear dangerous?
Is it expensive to repair?
Should it be covered by the manufacturers warranty?

Many thanks in advance.

Its adesiel filter as said,

Filter diesel

I can't see the damage, photo to small. there are 4 pipe 2 for diesel and 2 for water. anydamge to these i not good as likely to fail and cause you more problem. worst would be water loss and over heating.

replace damage pipe, if thats the issue ;)

the last Q is down to the dealership, has it been serviced lately, maybe the damage occurred then?

Browboy
05-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

The tear is very small and on the underside so is impossible to photograph.

It would appear to be one of the diesel pipes that is damaged as it is definitely fuel, not water that is leaking from it.

I bought the car last July and I haven't had it serviced yet, but it is due. I will flag it up before the service and try to get them to replace it under warranty.