PDA

View Full Version : when the computer say 'yes' then 'no'

eddie3625
05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
54 plate 2.0tdi touran- Basically sometimes at idle it holds its revs at about 1000rpm instead of usual 800 rpm.

If I park and car is holding 1000rpm at idle on the odd occasion the alarm goes off for a few seconds after I withdraw the key from the ignition.

Sometimes the engines runs lump when at idle

Anyway I finally decided to take my 54' plate touran 2.0 tdi into the dealers today and get them to run a diagnostic on a problem that is very intermittent, when I got there the car was playing up, 1000 rpm at idle, service manager sees this however by time he takes it inside the workshop car is running fine.

The car gets linked up to the diagnostic machine and the results are basically there is an electrical fault somewhere and the car has registered it, however it is'nt happening at the moment so the PC doesn't know whats wrong or where the fault lies.

The only thing that the service manager could say was the increase at idle on the revs is the car compensating for loss of current somewhere and when it seems lumpy at idle thats the car trying to decrease over produced current.

Anyway £65 later and I'm thinking hold on I could be a computer that says yes their is a problem but no i don't know what it is.

The service manager to his credit said I could leave it their for them to investigate as they didn't how long it would take to find the fault, quoting 'how longs is a piece of string'. I did wonder whether just to leave my visa card as well but then decided to wait for it to breakdown at least I get to use the recovery that I've paid for.

Is this the futher of modern cars?

If anyone has any insight into possible causes feel free to post

cheers