PDA

View Full Version : Interior lights wont turn off

Steve N
04-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi. I have a 52 Skoda Superb 1.9TDi and the interior lights wont turn off. I have fixed the leaking pollen filter and changed the CCM. I've lifted the carpet and checked for water but all is dry. All worked fine for about 3 weeks. I unlocked the car today and the interior lights came on as normal. When i started the car the 3 interior lights stayed on. If i turn off the ignition and lock the car the two rear lights will turn off but the front one stays on. All 3 lights can be turned off manually with their respective switches. I've tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery but it makes no difference. Everything else on the car seems to be working ok.

Any ideas anyone?:confused:

kenney
04-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I get the impression you have had a water leak,? has the control unit been wet?

Steve N
04-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi Kenney.
Oh yes the water used to flood in. I used to park facing uphill (DOH!) so when it rained the control unit wasn't so much damp as floating. Repaired the leak, dried everything with the wifes hairdryer, checked all the wiring and connectors and replaced the control unit (CCM). All was fine until today.

I've since found out that the rear interior lights and the exterior mirror light will turn off when I lock the car but the front interior light doesn't. When driving the car all the interior lights (except the footwell lights) remain on.

I figure it may be a sensor in the door lock but dont really know what I should be looking for.

kenney
04-03-2009, 08:39 PM
You may have a faulty micro switch in one of the door locks,and,about 30cm from the CCU multi stick contact,there are a couple of connecting points in the wiring harness,which corrode,and cause various problems.You will not see them before you remove the insolation tape on the harness.Although the unit might have been dry,when you fitted it,if there was damp in the carpets,this could cause condensation in the unit,maybe worth while having another look at the unit.If you find no fault with what i have mentioned,you will need to check the micro switches with dignostic equipment.

Steve N
04-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that. I was unaware of the connectors under the insulation tape. I'll check them out tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Steve N
05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I've checked the rest of the wiring and connectors and they are all fine. Looks like the microswitches in the door lock will have to be the next thing to check. Job for the weekend methinks.

Steve N
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Latest update. Took the drivers door lock out today. What a long drawn out process that is. Checked all the microswitches and all appeared ok. Then cheked the circuit board and eureka! A bad solder joint. Resoldered the joint and all is working fine.

I found the following link very useful

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1542461

Ah well. On to the next problem. Lol.