PDA

View Full Version : Please Help "tapping" from dash on 58 plate A4

dazler1972
04-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I took delivery of a new A4 salon 1.8 T 160ps in November. I love the car but there was a tapping noise from the dash area which got progressively worse so i rang Audi for them to look at it.

To cut a very long storey short (x3 visits to the garage and my time being wasted) the car is still making this tapping noise (associated with the climate control) even after they have changed a motor etc.

They are now telling me that all models do this ??? and they sat me in an identical car to see for myself. Whilst there is a little light ticking when the fan motors turn etc my car is actually making a tapping noise that you can hear even with road noise and the radio on. This just cant be right to my way of thinking and my patients is wearing thin.

Has any body experienced the same thing or can shed any light on the problem?

Regards
Dazler

pauldoherty
04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi, I get that on mine too - it is mega annoying and I don't buy the line from Audi that it is normal. It bugs the hell out of me (as does the arm rest creaking!) and reminds me of the same clicking sound that my wife;s passat makes - and that's a 99 model and only started doing it in the last couple of years, also from the climate control.

AndyH123
05-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Think mine does this at times.

Been curious for a while but struggle to describe it, so thank you for raising it here.

Initially I thought it was the keys on the key ring tapping against the steering column - but then I remembered I don't have any of that in this car! :)

Crasher
05-03-2009, 09:51 AM
One or more of the air flow flap motors is faulty, probably the recirculation flap motor. Have a fault code read carried out on the HVAC system and see what comes up.

Jop
05-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Never buy the line "thats normal" for any reasonable request.

Audi dealers will happily take a look at it 2, 3, 4 times as the can claim this money from audi for the warranty work regardless of whether or not they fix it.

If they said they could fix it the first time then surely its not "normal"

I assume it didn't do it on the day you collected it

If it didn't do it on day one and its "normal" was your car abnormal when you collected it?

dazler1972
05-03-2009, 10:40 AM
This is the problem i am having becuase the tapping is not all the time just some of the time. What ever they did when it went in previously has stopped it in terms of doing it constantly and it now comes and goes. When it does start, like last night when i drove home from work, it was tapping for the entire 35-40 minute journey home then this morning on the way to work - not a thing !! When i picked it up last time it was in its not doing it mode so im sure they think i am cracking up or something. Last night i actually recorded it on my mobile phone as proof.

kelvinbishop
05-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I used to have a problem like this and I wrote a response to an earlier thread. In my case the sound appeared to be coming from the RH side of teh dash but it was just that the sound was being conducted up the air vent. The real cause was the panel below the air vent in the region of the OBDG connector tapping. Try holding your hand against the panel to check. I just packed a bit of foam under the panel and have not had a problem since.

Hope this helps