PDA

View Full Version : Slightly unusual engine noise & servicing

sergiup
04-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello all,
Firstly, thank you to all the posters for their help so far - saved me a fortune with my leaky pollen filter and some other things.

I've got another slight issue on my 100bhp 51-reg AVB Passat: regardless of whether it's idling or driving along, I can always hear a sound (something between a click and a clunk), although not very loud. It doesn't repeat itself at a high frequency, which makes me thing it might be a belt. It also varies with revs.

I've tried locating it by listening, but I can't. Could it be a loose belt somewhere, or a timing misalignment, or something else..? I guess I could record the sound, if that would help?

Secondly, the car's run up about 142k miles now, and it needs a service. Timing kit should be good for a bit longer, so I probably won't be touching that. Other than oil, filters, brake pads & discs, possibly replace the AMM (occasional power dropouts while accelerating) what else should I have checked? I'll probably have a look at the EGR valve as well - I doubt it was ever cleaned..

Thank you!

Crasher
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Sounds to me like the air temp or recirc flap motor in the A/C has failed.

sergiup
04-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Crasher - quick & to the point, as usual :) Any ideas as to how I could test that theory? Thanks!

Crasher
04-03-2009, 07:06 PM
A fault code read of the HVAC system should tell you if my suspicions are correct.