PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems

Tel254
04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
I've just had the pollen filter housing sealed and plenum chamber drained. As part of this some wires have been changed in the passenger footwell. The wiring replacement was to resolve a problem with the oil sensor coming on for no reason. Unfortunately it is still not fixed and now comes on intermittently rather then constantly. I am returning to the dealer this week who have commited to fix it. However, I now also have a problem with the heater/air con unit. The display has no characters and is not illuminated when I switch the lights on (The unit is not working at all - i.e. no heat or air con).
Could this be part of the same problem? It seems funny that it has started immediately after the wiring has been looked at (my dealer is also going to look at this).

My other question is with respect the ECU unit. So far I am not having problems with this and now the pollen filter housing has been done, I am hopeful of no problems. However, to head any problems off, I wondered if anyone had any thoughts about sealing the ECU unit inside a plastic bag to prevent any possible ingress of water in the future?

Thanks

martin1810
04-03-2009, 03:25 PM
When you say ecu do you mean the comfort control module (ccm) under the passenger seat. I wouldn't have thought this would have anything to do with the oil light. Not a good idea to put in a plastic bag as electronics need air circulation.

sergiup
04-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I doubt that the CCM gets much airflow - it's in a semi-sealed plastic box. Having said that, there's probably some internal airflow in the box which could help dissipate any heat from the circuits.

I'm not sure about what might've gone wrong, but I doubt that putting it in a plastic bag will help. Is it definitely dry now? Mine got soaked at some stage as well, and despite the fact that it seemed dry at some stage, I found that I had to leave it another day or two for ALL the moisture to evaporate. Can you keep your car in a garage, with the carpet held up somehow?