PDA

View Full Version : Golf TDi S 1.9 service intervals

yottie
04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I am a bit confused re the service intervals. Bought from new 2 years ago and first serviced last March (2008). Have now done 15000 mls from new.
As it's now 2 years old is it time for a service ?
The dealer has proved a little unreliable in his comunications so I would like an expert opinion please.
Many thanks

towcestervag
04-03-2009, 01:06 PM
depends on if set up for long life servicing
but it is due at 2yrs
i would recommend yearly servicing every 10000 miles anyway
you will be due for pollen filter and brake fluid change at 2 yrs

Qman
08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
According to my Golf Mk5 manual the brake fluid does not need changing until the car is 3 years old. Then every 2 years.

peteo
10-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I started a similar thread to this one but after you did so apologies. My car was bought from new by the previous owner. They obviously had the service indicator set for long life because the car had its first service on its second birthday having covered just under 16,000 miles.

My dealer gave the car its third service at 23,300 miles in May 2008. I bought the car in July so it did little or no mileage for two months. It tells me it needs servicing again in May 2009 when it will have covered only 4,000 miles. In fairness, it does need a brake fluid service and air con refresh.

I still can't get over the fact that, because I only do 5,000 miles a year, I have to have an oil change service annually. If you do 10,000 miles a year, or more, the indicator will let you go 20,000 miles without an oil change.

In short, I, at 5,000 miles per annum, will have 4 oil changes in 20,000 miles. The high miler will have just one.

Even allowing for greater wear and tear on shorter journeys, this seems excessive.

My theory is this. VW want to attract fleet buyers with long service intervals hence you can drive 20,000 between oil changes if you do over 10,000 miles per annum.

They recoup the money off poor sods like me who have to buy, effectively 4 times as much oil!

Mini Mark
10-03-2009, 04:58 PM
I started a similar thread to this one but after you did so apologies. My car was bought from new by the previous owner. They obviously had the service indicator set for long life because the car had its first service on its second birthday having covered just under 16,000 miles.

My dealer gave the car its third service at 23,300 miles in May 2008. I bought the car in July so it did little or no mileage for two months. It tells me it needs servicing again in May 2009 when it will have covered only 4,000 miles. In fairness, it does need a brake fluid service and air con refresh.

I still can't get over the fact that, because I only do 5,000 miles a year, I have to have an oil change service annually. If you do 10,000 miles a year, or more, the indicator will let you go 20,000 miles without an oil change.

In short, I, at 5,000 miles per annum, will have 4 oil changes in 20,000 miles. The high miler will have just one.

Even allowing for greater wear and tear on shorter journeys, this seems excessive.

My theory is this. VW want to attract fleet buyers with long service intervals hence you can drive 20,000 between oil changes if you do over 10,000 miles per annum.

They recoup the money off poor sods like me who have to buy, effectively 4 times as much oil!

I do less then 5000 miles a year n my classic Mini and the oils changed every year the golf will cover about 8000 miles a year and will have it's oil changed every year too. I really don't like the idea of long life service intervals with no oil changes in between. I'd rather pay a bit more in the cost of oil then have something go wrong and damage the engine

peteo
10-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Fair point MiniMark.

I guess I wouldn't feel so aggravated if VW didn't have the long life interval. The problem is, it's not just an oil change is it? Everytime you drive on to their forecourt it's two hundred smackers minimum! The VW dealers in Warrington once caned me for nearly £500 for a service.

Once I've had this one done, I might go to an independent for future service needs.

One thing I did notice in the handbook was they use a different type of oil in cars set up for the long life as opposed to interval service.

pulsaret
11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Fair point MiniMark.

I guess I wouldn't feel so aggravated if VW didn't have the long life interval. The problem is, it's not just an oil change is it? Everytime you drive on to their forecourt it's two hundred smackers minimum! The VW dealers in Warrington once caned me for nearly £500 for a service.

Once I've had this one done, I might go to an independent for future service needs.

One thing I did notice in the handbook was they use a different type of oil in cars set up for the long life as opposed to interval service.

Age you abile to change the oil yourself? It's not rocket science and you will save a packet