PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Water in Rear Footwell of passat 2.0 (130) 2002

tweever
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi, Just bought my first VW ever (Passat 2.0, 130) and I love it except for the Water in the N/S footwell ! :zx11: I have read different threads in this forum regarding water in footwells and have sorted the usual suspects (resealed the pollen filter with "official" VW sealant strip , cleared the bulkhead drains under the battery and brake servo - have also flushed through with a hosepipe. Tonight I drove the car in the rain and the NEARSIDE REAR footwell is wet again. There is no sun-roof on this model. Not sure if it's relevant but it seems the rear NEARSIDE pasenger door has been resprayed fairly recently so the door could possibly have been "dismantled". Most threads seem to be pollen filter/battery drain related but any Ideas specifically what to look for now would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

towcestervag
03-03-2009, 11:58 PM
remove door panel and water test door
if it has a leak it will be coming past rubberised seal around carrier
remove carrier and clean seal and door
reseal with either suitable silicone or use a new bead strip but its a pain to remove old seal nicely

tweever
04-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the response - please can you explain a little bit more about the rubberised seal and carrier and where it is ? Thanks.

towcestervag
04-03-2009, 12:20 AM
when door inner panel removed ie the door trim
you will see a shiny metal/annodised inner panel this is the panel for the window regulator
where it bolts to the door 10mm headed bolts around panel there is a rubberised seal to stop water getting past
best get a workshop manual to remove if not sure as this panel holds the door catch and the window and regulator and can be awkward to remove if not done before

tweever
18-03-2009, 12:23 AM
:confused: I'm STILL completely stumped! :confused: Had the car for nearly a month now cleaned all drains and the pollen filter resealed but still no nearer to finding the source of the problem!

The only bit that never seems to dry is a circle of carpet about 4" diameter radius (yep that small!) around the carpet mat retaining lug that is fitted into the carpet closest to the rear N/S door! It seems to be wetter some days more than others seemingly regardless whether it has rained or not. I have looked underneath and cant't see any damage but have noticed the area under the lug is the lowest point of the rear N/S floopan so I wonder if some earlier water (who knows where from!) is collecting there and attempting to dry out. Have squeezed carpet all around and seems dry as a bone apart from this bit:(

Anyone else had a similar problem? Could it be a long-term drying out process by the moisture or water running to the lowest point or am I being unduly optimistic ? Thoughts much appreciated!