PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 1984 jetta 1.7l w/air

collinscw
03-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Hello all,
I'm a newby here and hello to all. Just purchased a 1984 Jetta 1.7l base model and I like this car more than any I have at this time. It is fun to drive and it acts like a go cart on steroids! HA! I am driving it at the moment but need your help with some problems I am having .
Need some pointers on how to remove the heater blower assy. I could probably take it out but it would end up like a demolision derby when I'done, getting it out that is. Putting it back together right is another story. I have been told you access it from two ways from underneath the right glove box passengers side and from the outside at the bottom of the windshield where the air intake cover :confused::1zhelp:is.

Another problem I am having is that it is very hard to start cold. About 6 cranks and it will start up and run rough for awhile and then run very smooth after it warms up. I has been mentioned that it may be the cold start valve on the manifold/plenum or the relay? Can the cold start valve be cleaned in any way or is it best just to replace it.
BTW: I am on a shoe string budget and this valve is pretty costly. I would like to know if I can clean it up and would it function correctly if cleaned?

I would greatly appreiciate it if anyone had any suggestions,
Thanks much