PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco brake upgrade

Robin K-S
12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Wondered if anyone can help here, I'm changing the wifes scirocco into a track car when she finds herself a corrado and need to upgrade the brakes from the standard 239mm to 256mm, now I know that the Audi 90 Girling/lucas 54 calipers and carriers bolt straight on to golf mk1's and therefore scirocco mk2's with the 256 vented discs from the 16v mk2 gti. What I don't know is the years of the Audi 90 I can use. My VW/Audi guru from Colchester did 1 using a b/c reg Audi 90, but I could do with widening this for a trawl round some breakers. I could also do with knowing which models I can use as there are a set of calipers, carriers and discs on Ebay at the mo.:1zhelp:
Also if anyones got these items, I'll have off you for a fair price, brakes or Corrado's:D

Robin K-S
16-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Have managed to find out which Audi's I can use & thought it might be quite useful info to have up in case anyone else was thinking of doing it.

The Audi's are:
Audi 80 quattro 1983-85
Audi 90 5-cylinder 1985-87
Audi coupe 5-cylinder 1985-88

I've also heard that you can do a similar conversion to 256mm discs using the carriers off mid 90's Vectras & possibly Astras, but I'm unsure of details, will post if I find out anymore.
Robin:beerchug:

Niall76
22-03-2007, 06:29 PM
If you can do the GM conversion you'll be laughing - there's millions of them

Robin K-S
22-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Here's the beef on the Vauxhall conversion, from the head honcho at www.sciroccouk.co.uk (http://www.sciroccouk.co.uk)

Another upgrade you may not be aware of is the vauxhall set-up. If you
can find a scrappy nearby you usually get a lot of earlier shape vectras
and same era astras in (about mid 90's) . The caliper carrier bolts
straight on and you have a fairly big choice of disk size as well, from
about 239, 256, 280 and over 300mm on the omegas. You need the hoses
(banjo fitting), calipers, carriers and pads and I believe you use the
corresponding vw disk. The only part you may need to improvise on is the
mounting bolts. The vaux ones are a larger shank, so you need some kind
of spacer to use the narrower vw ones.

As Niall76 says these should be 2 a penny in scrappys, as most GM cars come to the end of their useful lives after a year or two. :biglaugh: