PDA

View Full Version : Please Help temp gauge working intermittently

southpalace
02-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi There... I have a Passat 1.9tdi 2002. AVB engine. I bought it 2nd hand. Right after the guarantee ran out, the temperature gauge started to work when it was in the mood....and started not to work "all the time". Over the past 4 years it has become worse to the point that now, it hardly shows any sign of life at all. Nobody is able to give me definitive answer as to why - does anybody know if this is a common problem ? Or and tip/hints to point me in the right direction....Thanks !!

martin1810
02-03-2009, 06:40 PM
You could try changing the coolant temperature sensor. On back of engine with four wires coming out of it. Held in by a clip with an o-ring. If you change it, buy a new clip and o-ring.

southpalace
03-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi there. Thanks for that....I know this makes me sound dim but where exactly is the temperature sensor on the engine.... Obviously I have taken off the plastic engine cover and even looked under the plastic air-intake pipe for the turbo (which goes across the back of the engine and holds the fuel pipes in place)...but I can't find it anywhere at the back of the engine. All I can see is a black, wired "screw-on" fitting at the back of the head but that's got oil in it....I know...because I tried it....

Peter D
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
It's at the back of the engine so you need to remove the air pipe to access it. Regards Peter

southpalace
04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi Peter D. Finally found the sensor hiding at the back, out of view from any angle !!. Anyways, I changed it but sadly no difference......You know when you start to have enough....I'm getting there real fast......as far as cars are concerned, this has to be the most expensive car I have ever had to maintain...new turbo, new cv joint, new cv boots, temp guage, rebuild alternator, central locking on tailgate...all under 100,000 miles....really not one expects from German build quality....vorsprung durch teknik and all that....

southpalace
04-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I take it all back...well maybe not all of it....just some of it.........a five minute run is not enough for engine to warm up. A 10 minute run however is. temp gauge working fine now....we battle on with the Tailgate central locking and the case of the possible damaged wire.

andy23961
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
The same happened on my S reg Passat. Check the oil !! Quickly! I topped my oil up and all went well.