PDA

View Full Version : A6 C5 Auto Lock feature

NickPicks
02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Sorry if this has been detailed in a previous post, but I can't find it with the search feature.

I want to enable the auto lock function on my 2000 A6 C5, so I've gone into vag-com and into module 35 - central locking.

The controller info is Soft Coding 04814

Do I just add 32 to this, go into recode, enter that number and click OK?

Sorry for seeming a bit timid about this, but I've not used it for more than reading and clearing fault codes before, so I'm a bit anxious about ending up with a car that won't work!

Thanks,
Nick

Eshrules
02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Mate,

you don't need to bother with the coding, just adapt the relevant channels....

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/passatb5.html#46

the above guide is for a passat, but it'll still apply.

for anti hijack (auto lock) go into 35 - central convenience

adaptation - click

select channel 003 (Auto Lock) - change value to 1, test, save

select channel 004 (auto unlock) - change value to 1, test, save

you can do this for any of the channels which are available for adaptation and it's reversible in exactly the same way if you change your mind.

paul b
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Indeed, Esh's method is what I used to set it on my A6, however I soon took it off afterwards as I didn't like it.

BTW Esh, do you happen to know what I do to get the chirp when locking/unlocking?

It did have this, however one day it totally just stopped working. :confused:

A8 Tech very helpfully sent me the codes to do this but I think I've mislaid them. :aargh4:

paul b
02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Indeed, Esh's method is what I used to set it on my A6, however I soon took it off afterwards as I didn't like it.

BTW Esh, do you happen to know what I do to get the chirp when locking/unlocking?

It did have this, however one day it totally just stopped working. :confused:

A8 Tech very helpfully sent me the codes to do this but I think I've mislaid them. :aargh4:
Grrr I feel like such a dumb git.

Its channel 005 and 006 as per help page above isn't it? :banghead:

Eshrules
02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Grrr I feel like such a dumb git.

Its channel 005 and 006 as per help page above isn't it? :banghead:

always good for a giggle ;)

NickPicks
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Esh, I'll try that at lunchtime (If I can be bothered to walk back to the carpark)

Regarding the chirp on lock/unlock, the link says 'horn sounds'. Is it the main horn (loud) or the alarm horn (quiet chirp)? I don't think I'd want it to blare the horn each time, but a little chirp would be good.

Eshrules
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Esh, I'll try that at lunchtime (If I can be bothered to walk back to the carpark)

Regarding the chirp on lock/unlock, the link says 'horn sounds'. Is it the main horn (loud) or the alarm horn (quiet chirp)? I don't think I'd want it to blare the horn each time, but a little chirp would be good.

horn sounds - amends the sound of the horn/siren when set off, not the confirmation chirp. The confirmation chirp is a different channel matey.

paul b
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM

It is indeed, a chirp, its very miniscule.

My mate once described it as "pathetically quiet." :Blush2:

I just reminded him that he owns a Honda. :p

paul b
02-03-2009, 01:32 PM
horn sounds - amends the sound of the horn/siren when set off, not the confirmation chirp. The confirmation chirp is a different channel matey.
D'oh!

We posted at the same time...

Do you know the channel for the chirp then? :Blush2:

NickPicks
02-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks to both Eshrules and Paul B.

I went out and did it at lunchtime. I actually used the method in the post http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=53589 which I found after I started this thread (once I'd started the thread, there's a useful "similar threads" link at the bottom - very handy)

I was going to do it your way Esh, but I forgot the piece of paper I wrote down the channel numbers on! Doh!

It was very easy with the recode option though - just needed to add the numbers together twice to make sure I got it right (measure twice- cut once!)

If you could tell me the channel numbers for the chirp, that would be great.

Thanks, :beerchug:
Nick

Eshrules
02-03-2009, 02:38 PM
D'oh!

We posted at the same time...

Do you know the channel for the chirp then? :Blush2:

you had it above mate...

Channel 05 Unlock, horn sounds
Channel 06 Lock, horn sounds

paul b
02-03-2009, 03:21 PM
you had it above mate...

Channel 05 Unlock, horn sounds
Channel 06 Lock, horn sounds
oh...

I'm just going to shut up before I make a bigger mong of myself! :o

Col
02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
oh...

I'm just going to shut up before I make a bigger mong of myself! :o

Paul,

Yes shut up !!

And stop doing yourself down, you are far from being a mong !

As for the auto locking, I've tried it in the past and to be honest it always made me jump and I ended up being a bit frightened of it. :aargh4:

As for bleeps and flashes at lock and unlock, I think the most sensible way to have it set is as follows;

Lock = Flash and Chirp.
Unlock = Nothing, just unlocks.

Reason being is that if some scroat gets hold of your keys, they could in theory walk round a car park pressing the button to locate your car. If it does flash or bleep at unlock, it makes it just that bit harder.

The beep on locking is good as you don't to look at the car to be sure it has locked as you'll hear it.

And..... this thread reminds me, I've not done either to the A6 as yet, might have a play a bit later.

Eshrules
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
And..... this thread reminds me, I've not done either to the A6 as yet, might have a play a bit later.

I had it on the A4 the night I got it ;) you're slacking old boy

Col
02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I had it on the A4 the night I got it ;) you're slacking old boy

To busy polishing the damned thing !

It is like the Forth Bridge, just when you have finished, you have to start again. Black / Dark cars look the business but they are very very high maintanence (if thats how you spell it).

[edit]

In fact tell a lie, I did have a quick peek and went straight for Central Conv 46. It wasn't there so I got the polish out !!

Eshrules
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM

It is like the Forth Bridge, just when you have finished, you have to start again. Black / Dark cars look the business but they are very very high maintanence (if thats how you spell it).

[edit]

In fact tell a lie, I did have a quick peek and went straight for Central Conv 46. It wasn't there so I got the polish out !!

LOL

I know what you mean, the A4 got a quick wash and spritz with some QD yesterday, it's due a detail in around a month or so, thankfully!

But anyway, we digress :P

NickPicks
02-03-2009, 04:42 PM

[edit]

Have a look in Central Locking - that's where mine was.

I think you're right about the horn on unlock - I was just going to do it on lock, as sometimes I miss seeing the indicators flash.

I might remove the flash on unlock too - the lost keys scenario is a good point.

Col
02-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Have a look in Central Locking - that's where mine was.

I think you're right about the horn on unlock - I was just going to do it on lock, as sometimes I miss seeing the indicators flash.

I might remove the flash on unlock too - the lost keys scenario is a good point.

Yes, it is in 35 Central Locks

And yes, the no flash, no bleep at unlock is a very good idea al be it only a minor security enhancement.

paul b
06-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Nick,

Did you ever get anywhere with the chirp?

I've just been out to try and add it back, but I've failed. :p

The comfort options have to be changed using recode, and not by changing the 0s and 1s as Carl suggested, that is for the VWs. ;)

Ross-Tech suggest you add 1024 to the original value, but that just doesn't seem to work.

Paul

Col
06-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I've been talking to Paul in PM's and thought I'd share our discussion.

I've done loads of VW's which are easy via 46 (Cent Conv) and using the adaption function. This is well supported in VCDS by the guided help that pops up.

On the A6 though, there is no 46 so you have to use 35 (cent locking). Also scrolling through the channels in both the adpation and measuring blocks function reveals nothing (nothing read and nothing to adjust).

Therefore the only way I can see is to do it through the re-coding function.

I need to work out / find what the code needs to be to provide the following;

Locking - Indicator Flash + Horn Chirp
Unlocking - Nothing, just to unlock the doors with / and.....

The selective feature i.e. one press of the remote for drivers door, 2nd press unlocks the rest.

There seems to be a fair bit of info online about simply adding or taking functions in what value to code at but not a lot if you want to mix and match as described above.

paul b
06-03-2009, 01:06 AM
I've been talking to Paul in PM's and thought I'd share our discussion.

I've done loads of VW's which are easy via 46 (Cent Conv) and using the adaption function. This is well supported in VCDS by the guided help that pops up.

On the A6 though, there is no 46 so you have to use 35 (cent locking). Also scrolling through the channels in both the adpation and measuring blocks function reveals nothing (nothing read and nothing to adjust).

Therefore the only way I can see is to do it through the re-coding function.

I need to work out / find what the code needs to be to provide the following;

Locking - Indicator Flash + Horn Chirp
Unlocking - Nothing, just to unlock the doors with / and.....

The selective feature i.e. one press of the remote for drivers door, 2nd press unlocks the rest.

There seems to be a fair bit of info online about simply adding or taking functions in what value to code at but not a lot if you want to mix and match as described above.
Its much easier said than done. :(

I remember A8 Tech saying the "bloody old A6s are a pain in the ar5e" :biglaugh:

volkswagen 1200
28-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Hi Mate,

you don't need to bother with the coding, just adapt the relevant channels....

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/passatb5.html#46

the above guide is for a passat, but it'll still apply.

for anti hijack (auto lock) go into 35 - central convenience

adaptation - click

select channel 003 (Auto Lock) - change value to 1, test, save

select channel 004 (auto unlock) - change value to 1, test, save

you can do this for any of the channels which are available for adaptation and it's reversible in exactly the same way if you change your mind.

I have just bought a 2002 Audi A6 C5 3.0 Quattro and would like to know what plugs into the socket to allow me to change the setting so that my car automatically locks?

Eshrules
28-09-2010, 08:36 AM
if only there were a way to search the forum for regularly asked questions....