PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion on Rear door sill!? on a 2003 A4

NICE1A4
01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I've just become the proud owner of a Audi A4 2.5 V6 TDi. Its a great car with superb spec and drives fantastic with only 64k on the clock. I've every reason to believe this is genuine and so is the HPi clear report. I was horrified to notice discoloured bubbling under the paint along the top of the door sill:aargh4:. I've had a good look to see if its a poor repair, but all other surrounding parts are mint:approve:. I'm hoping this is a original fault and Audi will cover it under their 12 year warranty. What do you think guys?? My first posting, please help with similar storys and rectified without trouble.:biglaugh:

randall977
01-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Could just be a bit of impurity in the metal - I've oftern wondered about the anti-corrosion warranty... I assume like Mercedes Audi will sort it out. Let us know what happens. I actually sold my A3 a few years back bacause it had the first signs of rust along both roof gutters...I should have claimed on the warranty!

NICE1A4
01-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the quick reply mate. Its a damn shame if its just a case of impuritys in the material. We looked at an A3 about 6 months ago and that had some rust around, but I think some was neglect after catching gates and probably **** poor parking. I'll push Audi all the way if thats the case;)

NICE1A4
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Finally got down to the problem with the corroded sil. I approached Audi main dealer to see if it was a manufacturing fault. The showroom I went to at first appointed me to their car body shop about 12 miles away, but after a little persuasion the guy picked up the phone to a guy named Paul. This guy was brought through to me and I thought he was familiar and I twigged after a moment and it turned out the workshop manager was an old neighbour of mine;) and he remembered me as well as my old company vehicle. He got me to take a well comfy chair and a coffee, while he took the car through to the workshop and onto a ramp for photos. He came back after about ten mins (after I'd salivated over a showroom R8) and said come and have a look at this:confused: He went around the car with a device that measures thickness of paint, sweet, but all was not well:( He assured me with a fair degree of confidence that the body panels were original and the paint repairs were for cosmetic reasons, which wasn't so bad. If I wanted a better second opinion, then go and see a guy named Brian Boardman (bodyworks) coincidently right next door where I brought the car!!? I did this and dropped Pauls name from Audi into my opening story. We got on like a house on fire and he was more than happy to look at my car. This guy was spot on (been in the biz since he was 15 and he's just turned 63) he was quick to tell me that the car had had a complete rear quater:zx11:. He said it was a good spray job, but the preperation wasn't good enough. The rear quater wing hadn't been sealed over inside and moisture was getting into fold, because the wing edge was also beginning to corrode slightly. I've now got a quote for £390 + vat:(, but the dealer has agred to contribute £100 although he doesn't really have too. Car should look mint after:approve: