PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Is my engine going to drop out ??

Hallaz
01-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi,
Just spent the whole day cleaning my 1998 1.8T 20v sport estate, which I love like a 4th child !!
The old girl has been looked after but I have been somewhat busy with work and stuff that I have neglected a horrible thumping / banging noise from the engine ( not mechanical ). I had the shocks checked and they are fine. The noise is not always present, but on uneven ground( cobbles or really poor road surfaces ) it sounds like my engine wants to break free and exit the car !!:confused:

New drop links were fitted last year in an attempt to rectify this without success. :aargh4: Could this be as simple as the engine mounts are loose or damaged ?? Or has anyone had the same problem who could point me in the right direction !!

Please help or I might put the old dear up for adoption. :beerchug:

cazyp
01-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Engine mounts OR steering arm bushes.

Hallaz
01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Evening,
Thanks for the quick reply. Steering was checked with no faults. How much of a bugger will it be to check the engine mounts ?? Credit crunch and all that.

Knowing my luck it will be expensive.

cazyp
01-03-2009, 07:08 PM
By steering arms I mean the Top/Bottom arm rubber covered ball joints - very noisy on rough ground when on their way out..

Hallaz
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Totally know what you mean. And they are fine, no signs of wear or perishing.

cazyp
01-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Anti roll bar bushes? Next most likely thing.

Hallaz
01-03-2009, 08:49 PM
As I say these things have been checked and the noise is relevant to a hevy object hitting the engine. I think ill have to bite the bullet and get it looked at, bummer !!

cazyp
01-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I had a similar sound on an old rover - roll bar bushes - but you said these were checked.
Just check the engine/gearbox mounts then for wear.

Hallaz
01-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Will do and thanks for your help, very grateful.