PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan starts when reading instruments with VAG Commander

JontyVW
01-03-2009, 06:38 PM
:1zhelp: :confused: :1zhelp:

Hi All!

This is my first post on the forum although I have been visiting the forum for a few months now and enjoying the great info etc.

I have a 2002 MK4 Golf 1.8 GTi T. It has fairly low milage (48,500) and has been enjoyable to own for the past 8 months or so.

I have recently been looking into a lot of the diagnostics and programing that can be done on these type of cars and I became quite curious and interested by it all.

Anyway, sorry for prattling on there!

I have connected my car to a friends laptop and VAG Commander 2.5 software in the hope of being able to read my SKC or pin code whatever you want to call it from the instrument cluster. I have tried twice now and bot attempts have had the same outcome - After only a few seconds of reading the instruments the radiator fan kicks in and continues to run and the screen on the laptop says it is reading address 0358.

The first time this happened I thought it was normal and left the laptop and cable connected. The car's battery eventually drained completely and I was no closer to getting the skc. When I recharged the battery I was surprised to find that the car wouldn't start! It would fire up but then immediately die. It reminded me of how an immobiliser inhibits the starting which I later found out was the case. After reading a tip on the internet I removed the clocks from the car overnight and re-installed them the next day and to my delight the car started! Thank God!

I left the car alone for a few weeks but then got curious again and started thinking maybe I had chosen the wrong cluster model in the VAG Commander options or something so I decided to have another go!

The exact same thing happened again, the only difference being that I never let the battery go flat this time and I know that I definitely chose the correct cluster type - RB8.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same thing or if anyone knows if the radiator fan starting is supposed to happen?

Also could anyone offer any info regarding how long it usually takes to read the skc from the type of cluster that I have. From all the info I've read I think I have an Immo 3 type that is refered to sometimes as seeded-key????

Also just a quick ask about removing an ecu to have it remapped - Are there any problems expected when the ecu gets refitted to the car?? ie. car not starting or numerous warning lights etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jon

stuart
02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Hi

Are you using a GENUINE REGISTERED version of the software? If it is a COPY from Ebay or similar, then this could be your problem, illegal copies are not always what they seem, and should not be discussed on the site, ref our rules....

If it is a FULLY REGISTERED version, you may be better contacting the software manufactures support...

Eshrules
02-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I have a 2002 MK4 Golf 1.8 GTi T. It has fairly low milage (48,500) and has been enjoyable to own for the past 8 months or so.

I have connected my car to a friends laptop and VAG Commander 2.5 software in the hope of being able to read my SKC or pin code whatever you want to call it from the instrument cluster. I have tried twice now and bot attempts have had the same outcome - After only a few seconds of reading the instruments the radiator fan kicks in and continues to run and the screen on the laptop says it is reading address 0358.

and therein lies your issue. A golf mk4 is not canbus, the vagcan commander is designed for canbus vehicles only.

For something like the mk4, you'll need vagtacho, sourced legally from it's original vendor.

JontyVW
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi.

Thanks for the quick replys. I wasn't aware that the Mk4 Golfs weren't CAN cars so thanks for that bit of info. I'm not sure if the copy of VAG Commander that my friend has is genuine or not as he plays his cards quite close to his chest about such matters!

Consider me fully warned about the discussion of possible counterfit software/hardware, it will not happen again.

I have the genuine VCDS software and cable from Ilexa so I'm ok with that one.

Thanks again for the info,

Jon. :biglaugh: