PDA

View Full Version : oil warning light A4 1.8 petrol

discojim
28-02-2009, 11:46 PM
First time on this site and hope someone can help.

Audi A4 1.8 petrol not turbo.
Driving down the motorway today there was a ping and the oil warning light came on. blue smoke was coming from the back. pulled over and go towed home.
checked oil level and found level was above maximum level on dipstick. top end of engine is noisy like tappets ticking. sounds more like a diesel than a petrol
can anyone suggest what damage may be done.

towcestervag
01-03-2009, 05:00 AM
first check oil pressure
then remove sump
check for any signs of damage if its not knocking youwill probably be ok(did you switch it off quick?)
usually oil pump blocked strainer
i am a little concerned about oil/blue smoke from rear

discojim
01-03-2009, 10:31 AM
yes switched it off quickly. had to restart it to get it on back of tow truck. when I got it home it and started it to take it off tow truck oil light was off. I pressed the button to do the self check it came back on the screen saying all was ok however there was a noise from the top end of the engine like a ticking sound

towcestervag
01-03-2009, 11:17 AM
what usually happens is the strainer on the oil pump gets blocked with carbon if service history is long life 20k/2yrs
if you got oil starvation it could of damaged turbo?
my suggestion is remove sump for inspection
if all looks ok fit an oil pump and clean out sump
remove oil feed pipe from oil filter housing to turbo and clean out/replace
then give it a go
the noise you are hearing is the hydraulic tappets and cam chain rattling due to low oil pressure

besian
01-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi, i had same problem with my golf 1.6... engine was sounding like diesel engine. It turned out to be the oil pump had failed.

discojim
09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi guys, changed the oil pump. you were right old one was totally gunked up.

fitted new pump, put back together, took out for tet drive and oil light came back on.

any ideas what to look for now

athomson2171
09-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi

I have am having the same problem with a 1.8T
Oil pump was cleaned, oil pick up was blocked and sump etc was cleaned up. All seemed fine but after about 30-45 mins of driving the Red oil light started to to flash again. Oil seems to be flowing as the engine sounds fine. Does anyone have any ideas ? At present the car is only doing 10 minute journeys and the light never comes on. Seem like it is only when engine is hot.

Thanks

athomson2171
09-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi Jim

Did you mange to get anywhere with your Oil Warning problem ? Any pointers you may have been given would be helpful.

Andrew

discojim
09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Not yet. I only got the oil pump fitted over the weekend. Took it out for a run after about 4 miles the oil light came back on and the tappets started rattling again. this is a non turbo 1.8 petrol

gjf1981
09-03-2009, 11:00 PM
It will be the sump covered in gunk as stated in previous posts mate. I just got mine back from my mechanic. I had the sump cleaned and pick up pipe replace along with four bottles of flushing agent put through it before the symptoms stopped. had it back a week now and its running as sweet as a nut. I payed £350 for this doing (along with a full service) to give you a rough price.