PDA

View Full Version : Rear door central locking not working...

stormbringer
28-02-2009, 08:47 PM
The previous owner of my B5 2000 1.9TDI Passat told me it was playing up, so they unplugged it.

Anyway, I figured I would have a look at it, see if I can fix it, or replace the actuator.

After getting the trim off, and seeing that it involves also taking the glass out, decided to leave it for today, and attack it tomorrow, asking if anyone knows any common faults with the central locking solenoid, so rather than taking it out, and waiting for a spare part, I can look at fixing it and getting it all back together tommorow.

Cheers!

martin1810
28-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Check where the wires go from the B post into the door. They can disconnect or get damaged. If that's the case you don't need to touch the door.

stormbringer
28-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I think it's mechanical, or a problem with the soleniod/actuator, as I can hear it "trying" to lock it. I will check the wires too, do I just pull the rubber boot back?

martin1810
01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
As you can hear solenoid it can't be electrics. I'd check the wires in the rubber boot to be sure.

SKINNYSEAND
03-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Get a second hand locking mechanism from a breakers yard and replace the lock. It costs around £35 including postage. I had the same problem and after replacing the lock the problem was solved.

passing
08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
After getting the trim off, and seeing that it involves also taking the glass out, decided to leave it for today, and attack it tomorrow, asking if anyone knows any common faults with the central locking solenoid, so rather than taking it out, and waiting for a spare part, I can look at fixing it and getting it all back together tommorow.

Cheers!

You don't need to take the glass out. In fact after I had replaced mine I reckoned that I could jhave done so without even taking out the plate that the actuator sits on. A new actuator cost me £10 or so from the ********. But as above check a few things first - mine worked fine out of the car even though it seemed to be jammed fully out in the car.
I had to play with the adjustment of the new one when I fitted it. It was simple to do by turning the linkage connector piece. I never did work out why other than it took two tugs on the handle to get the linkage engaged to open the hatch until I had it sorted.

It is an easy job so don't be put off if that is indeed it.

hammerhead
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm having a similar problem with my drivers door lock. Sometimes it unlocks with the key-fob but increasingly I'm having to use the key in the lock to get the mechanism to work.
Are there any additional dramas in replacing the drivers door actuator/lock compared to the other doors?