PDA

View Full Version : MK1 with 16 valve conversion, stalling!

xtreme
28-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi there, my mate has a MK1 that has a 16valve conversion with a problem!
When he starts it up weather from cold or hot it will sound like it is running on 3 cylinders momentarely then clear.
Also he has had to up the idle speed to about 1200rpm as it would always stall when having to stop at junctions,roundabouts etc.

Any help will be much appreciated

towcestervag
01-03-2009, 05:26 AM
check for air leaks past the injector seals
also check fuel filler neck for rust/holes
if holes found drain fuel tank and clean out fit new filler neck and clean out all fuel lines and you may need to fit warm up valve

xtreme
04-03-2009, 04:00 AM
We checked the warm up valve today and was only reading approx 8.5 volts when it should be 11.5 volts minimum!
The heater it self tested fine at 23 ohms when they recommend between 20 and 26 ohms.
For some reasons we could not get any voltage out to the cold start valve or the thermo time switch i think it is called.
I hope this is of some help!

towcestervag
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
just a thought check the throttle switch operation
this controls the idle stabilization valve which should buzz with ignition on
clean this out with carb cleaner
also when you set up the basics ie timing and co etc
disconnect the single red/black wire at the coil as this set idle stab into basic settings
i always used to set my 16v up to1000rpm and 1.5 % co

xtreme
06-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Cheers, will try that out and see how we get on

ANDROID184
30-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Hi there, my mate has a MK1 that has a 16valve conversion with a problem!
When he starts it up weather from cold or hot it will sound like it is running on 3 cylinders momentarely then clear.
Also he has had to up the idle speed to about 1200rpm as it would always stall when having to stop at junctions,roundabouts etc.

Any help will be much appreciated

may I ask if it a cis swap or a digi swap?