PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Transplanting a 2004 Passat Estate Towbar

Dan Glibitz
28-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi. I have a 2004 Passat Estate with no towbar (With reverse sensors & OB Computer). My dad has a 2004 exactly the same (No reverse sensors tho) but with a Towbar and I want to swap it from his car to mine. It has the twin electric sockets too and is the "Fixed" type not the removable bar & has no "Cut-out" as it seems to "Swan" under the rear valance.

Can anyone advise:
1. will my parking sensors still work or will they "See" the towbar?
2. will all the wiring to un-do be in the boot area?
3. if the rear bumper has to come off, how is this done?
4. will there be anything I need to do to my dad's car once the towbar is removed?
5. do I need to program anything with the VAG-COM
6. I've looked for some detailled fitting instructions on here but can't find any. can anyone advise a step-by-step transplant operation please?

Many thanks you guys

martin1810
28-02-2009, 12:25 PM
1. Yes parking sensors will see towbar.
2. yes wiring is all in boot but you should have an extra power feed from battery or fuse box.
3. Look for info on bumper on forum. It's easy to do.
4. The towbar replaces the bumper strengthener. Find your dads old one and put it back or give him yours when you take it off.
5. If it's an after market kit you won't need vag-com.
6. If tow bar was put on by average fitter it will be easy to remove. Label wires before starting. Disconnect battery. Electrical connections will be scotchlocks. Cut the tow bar wire off. Tape over the connector and leave. Towbar is just bolts. If you get stuck with electrics pm me.

Dan Glibitz
28-02-2009, 10:58 PM
1. Yes parking sensors will see towbar.
2. yes wiring is all in boot but you should have an extra power feed from battery or fuse box.
3. Look for info on bumper on forum. It's easy to do.
4. The towbar replaces the bumper strengthener. Find your dads old one and put it back or give him yours when you take it off.
5. If it's an after market kit you won't need vag-com.
6. If tow bar was put on by average fitter it will be easy to remove. Label wires before starting. Disconnect battery. Electrical connections will be scotchlocks. Cut the tow bar wire off. Tape over the connector and leave. Towbar is just bolts. If you get stuck with electrics pm me.

Fanx for the reply.

If the parking sensors will see the tow bar, am I right in assuming that every time I select reverse, they will bleep constantly (From seeing the towbar) and therefore will be useless as sensors? or is there a way to stop them seeing the toebar?

Ben
28-02-2009, 11:37 PM
un plug the two sensors nearest the towbar.

how did you manage before parking sensors were introduced?

Dan Glibitz
01-03-2009, 09:38 PM
how did you manage before parking sensors were introduced?

same way I "Managed" to wind down my windows and use a key to open my door before electronic gizmos made my life easier - it's called Progress!:booty: