PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance- what a rip off

Paul_mkV_golf
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Having recently replaced alloys on my car with slightly bigger ones I did the right thing and mentioned it to my insurance company with my renewal due at the end of the month. Little did I realise that it would bump up the premium by initially almost £200 to 610 quid. Eventually got them to knock 100 notes of stating that it was unfair that i couldn't get on-line discount as their online system didn't allow for modifications.

I argued the fact that the replacement alloys were bought off ebay & would be far less valuable than the VW ones I'd taken off. I also pointed out the fact that I'd forked out 40quid for decent mcguard locks which made them almost impossible to nick- making them a lot more secure than the previous alloys which had vw locking nuts which probs could have been removed with a junior hacksaw blade!!

The lads I work with said they wouldn't have bothered telling the insurance company & laughed at me for being so honest. I can understand telling them if the alloys were worth a grand a corner but they're not!!

any similar experiences?

RickT
12-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Im looking for a set of Audi 17 or 18inch 5 spoke for mine.... my insurance company wont be knowing..... the reason is as there going to be Audi alloys... i just reply with.. they came with the car and i thought they were the standard ones..... (also ones ones im after did come on the A4 so im ok!!)

RicKT

gazza57
21-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Having recently replaced alloys on my car with slightly bigger ones I did the right thing and mentioned it to my insurance company with my renewal due at the end of the month. Little did I realise that it would bump up the premium by initially almost £200 to 610 quid. Eventually got them to knock 100 notes of stating that it was unfair that i couldn't get on-line discount as their online system didn't allow for modifications.

I argued the fact that the replacement alloys were bought off ebay & would be far less valuable than the VW ones I'd taken off. I also pointed out the fact that I'd forked out 40quid for decent mcguard locks which made them almost impossible to nick- making them a lot more secure than the previous alloys which had vw locking nuts which probs could have been removed with a junior hacksaw blade!!

The lads I work with said they wouldn't have bothered telling the insurance company & laughed at me for being so honest. I can understand telling them if the alloys were worth a grand a corner but they're not!!

any similar experiences?
This is really interesting and shows that Insurance companies want it both ways as long as you pay both ways that is.
I had a Mk5 golf which originally had steel wheels with horrible manky plastic trims fitted at the factory, my wife wanted alloys and quite frankly so did I.
I could've bought a set of pattern alloys from somewhere like Halfords for around £450.
I decided to buy original VW alloys to keep the car to spec and that obviously as these were the wheels fitted at the factory there would be no issues with compatability as they were VW approved.
These wheels were nearly £800 but looked good, imagine then my surprise to find that the wheels were deemed 'a modification' and a further £50 was payable on my insurance premium.
But I said, these are not some unapproved wheels for which VW had no design data and for which there were no tests carried out to ascertain their suitability, they were the self same wheels which probably were fitted to the Golf immediately behind mine on the VW production line in Wolfsburg. I said I could understand the increased risk of fitting a set of pattern alloys but not a set of VW approved wheels which were £350 more!
Makes no difference, I was told, the fact that steel wheels were fitted at the factory and that alloys have been retro fitted makes the replacement value higher hence the increased premium.
So I said if the car is written off I would get a proportionally higher market value for the car because it was fitted with alloys??? errr no.
The fact I had been honest and informed them of the change they kicked my wallet in the goolies for another £50. Best policy tell them nothing if you do they'll find an excuse to rape your wallet!
Gazza57

gazza57
21-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Im looking for a set of Audi 17 or 18inch 5 spoke for mine.... my insurance company wont be knowing..... the reason is as there going to be Audi alloys... i just reply with.. they came with the car and i thought they were the standard ones..... (also ones ones im after did come on the A4 so im ok!!)

RicKT
Rick T Be careful Mate,
I had a similar experience and once they had my engine/chassis number they were able to tell me that alloys were not fitted at the factory and therefore a premium was payable if alloys were fitted and needed cover.
I tried the "I got the car with them on already" route to which they replied doesn't matter fitted at the factory no premium payable, retro fitted premium payable end of story not interested what has gone on in between.
Gazza57

RickT
21-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Rick T Be careful Mate,
I had a similar experience and once they had my engine/chassis number they were able to tell me that alloys were not fitted at the factory and therefore a premium was payable if alloys were fitted and needed cover.
I tried the "I got the car with them on already" route to which they replied doesn't matter fitted at the factory no premium payable, retro fitted premium payable end of story not interested what has gone on in between.
Gazza57

I know what you mean... but what happens if i did not buy the car new like i did... and i "thought" they came as standard... anyway..

RicKT

Veedubber
22-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I know what you mean... but what happens if i did not buy the car new like i did... and i "thought" they came as standard... anyway..

RicKT

They've got you over a barrell mate and say that you are responsible for telling them everything they might ever need to know. They could refuse to pay out at all. :zx11:

MalcQV
22-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Interesting reading. I intend adding alloys to mine when the tyres on the plastic rims have worn out.

I don't know at this point whether they will be VW approved, but it now causes me concern on the insurance front. I might even have to look around for a cheaper quote next year!

Bloody rip-off :mad:

golf tdi 02
22-05-2007, 01:35 PM
i think the word what you are all looking for is missled i was told they were original in my unprofesional expertese.
the insurance companys hate this word:beerchug:

DEBBIE.G
01-12-2007, 12:24 PM
They should accept photos as proof of condition and if you have the wheels on the car it should be up to them to say the wheels are not standard. The insurance companies all want to avoid paying out at any cost. All they offer is bottom book price.:zx11:

RickT
01-12-2007, 12:57 PM
They've got you over a barrell mate and say that you are responsible for telling them everything they might ever need to know. They could refuse to pay out at all. :zx11:

The worst thing they can do is deduct the cost of the alloys from the vaule of the car.

Rick