PDA

View Full Version : xenon upgrade

jacksjacks
12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
:newbie:
Need some help and advise :1zhelp: . I'm thinking of upgrading to xenon bulbs in my A2 . Can I just replace the bulbs and nothing else??
Also will it cause condersation

Huweth
12-03-2007, 06:17 PM
You will need to get a proper conversion kit which includes 'ballasts' which act in a similar way to a starter in fluorescent tubes. Kits will be at least £150.
I don't recommend doing it as they are illegal. There are posts already on this website. Do a search.

RickT
18-03-2007, 12:51 AM
i have done it on my A4 with a kit and its perfect...

In regards to illegal, no one has produced anything to me in writing saying it is... but thats a different topic..

RiCKt

stuart
20-03-2007, 07:49 AM
I think that the law regarding headlamp wash system and auto leveling comes under the "construction and use" regulations, which is why all cars fitted with xenons from the manufacturer are fitted with them, including mine;)

I think problems will only occur if you get an over enthusiastic MOT tester or Police officer:)

S2AVANT
20-03-2007, 09:01 AM
The HID kit I fitted is now on EBay for £27.99 plus £35.99 postage. (green boxes - seller in Hong Kong)
Mine have been in for well over 12 months without any issues.

Huweth
20-03-2007, 06:16 PM
S2AVANT - Did you go for the 4300K's? Just how much of an improvement did they actually make? Was it worth it?

onzarob
20-03-2007, 06:25 PM
From reading the link below, self levers and wash system are for new cars and not a requirement for conversions.

Read this by Turborevs

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=6279

Rob:D

Dave Avant
21-03-2007, 05:07 PM
I have the Turborevs kit on mine and its a good comprehensive kit with more componenets and mounting brackets than I needed. Gives good beam spead and correct beam cut and angle.

I think some headlamps don't like Xenon kits and can 'scatter' the beam. But in cars equiped with the projector type lenses, you are pretty safe where beam deflection is concerned.

As said before manufacturers have to stick to more stringent rules when fitting componenents than aftermarket add ons, although there are still rules for aftermarket stuff, and at the moment so long as the colour and beam spread and beam cut comply then they will pass MOTs and not attract unwanted attention.

Exhausts are another area where Maufacturers have certain EU guidleines and they even 'cheat' by putting exhaust valves in so they pass the 'certain' rev range/drive by noise limits. After this range the valve opens and the exhaust becomes louder and is OK in the rule book as its above the regulated threshold.