PDA

View Full Version : Which remap?

SebRogers
27-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I've been contemplating a remap for a while, and the current slew of reduced prices from most tuning companies makes now look like as good a time as any. Even Superchips have dropped their prices...

So my question is, are all remaps equal? Looking around at the quoted figures for my car (130pd Avant), there seem to be a lot of companies boasting the same 159bhp / 380Nm figures. So am I right in assuming they're just uploading essentially the same software, all bought in from a central source?

To be honest I like the fact that I can look at the performance graphs for my engine on the Superchips site. It's a small thing and probably meaningless, but it makes what is otherwise just an expensive bit of software seem more real. Daft, I know... :Blush: but then again it comes with a hefty price premium.

Which brings me to my other concern: if I get a remap now and, say, two years down the line I want to reflash the ECU back to spec to sell the car (or whatever)... but the company's gone bust in the meantime... is there a way round this? Realistically it's hard to believe all the remapping outfits out there are going to survive the current recession, and I don't want to get stuck with a remapped car that I can't sell.

Right. You can now all pitch in and tell me I'm worrying about nothing, and it's fine to go for the cheapest map I can find :biglaugh:

SebRogers
27-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Oh, forgot to mention. I'm just south of Bristol, if anyone has any local recommendations :beerchug:

Marco34
27-02-2009, 05:19 PM
They all seem very similar. Just ensure you find one that's reputable. People who can recommend. I'm rather North of Bristol so can't help.

I was like you, a little concerned but my concerns have been laid to rest. It's worth having done. I'm not convinved you get increases in MPG. That said, it's been freezing since I had my map back in November 08 so it's hard to tell. Long runs have shown equeal if not slightly better. Shorter runs with more stop and start slightly worse. When having fun it is worse, but hey, you can't have power without fuel! ;)

I wouldn't bother about putting it back to 130 when selling. I'm sure a buyer would be pleased to know it's got 160+bhp

:beerchug:

Marco34
27-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I opted for a mid range smooth delivery map. I think with 380Nm and 160bhp they will be similar though. I have been in one car, a Passat that went for all out BHP.. it was awful to drive and would just take off in a jerky fashion. I'm not a hard driver so wanted mid range for overtaking, and fun from time to time!! :biglaugh:

SebRogers
27-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks Marco, I'm convinced in principle but confused about which company to entrust the job to. Bristol-area recommendations definitely gratefully received :)

I wouldn't bother about putting it back to 130 when selling. I'm sure a buyer would be pleased to know it's got 160+bhp
:beerchug:

Hmm. Really? I'd have thought it'd put off as many buyers as it's likely to attract. Including me, now I come to think of it. I wouldn't buy a remapped car. But maybe that's just me... :biglaugh:

motechmike
27-02-2009, 06:23 PM
You very right in saying that now is as good as time as any... We are running an offer for £280 all (power on the site) as for maps some are done as just an upload .. Our's are a read of your ECU data section and change the tunning in YOUR file and up load it ... We have done many a PD130 now with good gains.. check out our section under news and see the PVW car have a read...

All the tunners out there will say there's are better than other's thats life.

But not many can say thay deal with 5 Audi dealers mapping car's that have done 20 miles on too 100k Audi RS6 V10 turbo's :biglaugh:

But were not to close to you.. were in Northampton bit of a drive but a fun one back lol...

Hope that helps a little

Mike

SebRogers
27-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks Mike.

Please excuse my ignorance... but what's the advantage of reading the ECU data section and then tweaking that info before uploading it, as opposed to uploading a generic file? (I'm sure there is one, but I can't work out what it is!)

motechmike
27-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks Mike.

Please excuse my ignorance... but what's the advantage of reading the ECU data section and then tweaking that info before uploading it, as opposed to uploading a generic file? (I'm sure there is one, but I can't work out what it is!)

Some tuners match up just the 9 numbers on the ECU.. Thats fine..

The tools we use will keep your car's ID SW and HW numbers..

Its also your file not some generic file.. so all your car's updates are kept on your car there will be 8-10 ecu numbers that are just for th PD130's/

Mike

whiteakita
28-02-2009, 05:06 PM
i had my 2002 a4 tdi 130 remapped today and it goes alot better but now my clutch is slipping.
ive been quoted £300 for a new clutch or £580 if the flywheel is knackered to.

SebRogers
02-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Mike,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Still digesting all the information and trying to come to a sensible decision :D Your offer is on until the end of March - have I got that right?

Whiteakita,

Sorry to hear about your clutch :( Out of interest, who did the remap for you?

motechmike
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Mike,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Still digesting all the information and trying to come to a sensible decision :D Your offer is on until the end of March - have I got that right?

Whiteakita,

Sorry to hear about your clutch :( Out of interest, who did the remap for you?

You got it !

Mike