PDA

View Full Version : How To Fit A Wish Bone Need Help

stephen1989227
26-02-2009, 11:38 PM
hi there i have a mark4 1.6 golf im buying a new wishbone for it tomorrow are they easy to fit could someone please talk me throught it

NickPicks
27-02-2009, 10:48 AM
If you're used to working on cars and have the right tools (axle stands, spring compressors, ball joint splitters, torque wrench, Big Hammer), then a wishbone shouldn't be too difficult. I haven't done one on that model before, but on all the other cars I've done the job for, they were all quite straightforward.

Have a look in your Haynes manual (or borrow it from the library) and it should have a step by step instructions for it.

Don't forget to lower the car before tightening the bolts.

Bora Tom.
13-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi guys. Yeah. I was wanting to see how tricky this was myself as i need the wishbone on the two front wheels doing and the bushes on the back. What do you reckon? Would these be pricey jobs at an independant garage? Also, Is there any urgency in replacing them? Would they be ok to be left for a while? Not thousands of miles. Just a couple of months for example

Thanks

Tom

zollaf
13-03-2009, 05:30 PM
all depends on how bad they are. if the bushes on the wishbones are hanging out and the wheel can move, then no, you cant leave it if you wish to continue driving.

Bora Tom.
13-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks mate. No, There doesnt seem to be loads of play or anything. Its just started to squeak abit from the rear.

Do you think its expensive to get repaired? Only just bought this car and already had to fork out for new cambelt!