PDA

View Full Version : Fuel capacity issues

Two Audi family
26-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Help requested please. As I am fairly new to this forum I have never had a chance to sort this one out to my satisfaction. As I am now aware of the vast amount of knowledge available through this form, I thought it worth asking my question

I have an A4 Avant 2.5 TDI quattro sport and have had for 7 years - ie since it was new. I once ran out of fuel, despite the DIS showing that I had 40 miles of fuel and the fuel guage showing just into the red. However when I filled the tank from this empty state I could only get 56 litres in before it was full to the brim. The handbook says that the capacity should be 66 litres. I now fill up at a quarter of a tank just to be sure. The most I have ever been able to get in the tank is 56 litres

I would appreciate any thoughts on what could be the problem. There are no dents in the tank and the car has bever been involved in any dramas,

Help to satisfy my curiosity please.

Thanks

TAF

Braveheart1981
26-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I've certainly managed to get 60 litres plus in mine when the needle was right down and the DIS said 5 miles to go - I know its not good for the car but it was the way I picked it up from the Garage, I think they drive them around till its running on fumes then hand you the keys.

RickT
27-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I once got 65 litres in mine... as i remember it cost me £74.00!!!!

Mines not Quattro so i have a 5 litre bigger tank!

Rick

lucas88
28-02-2009, 12:47 AM
I once got 65 litres in mine... as i remember it cost me £74.00!!!!

Mines not Quattro so i have a 5 litre bigger tank!

I think my bill might have been even more back when petrol was costing about £1.18 a litre...

RickT
28-02-2009, 03:34 AM
I think my bill might have been even more back when petrol was costing about £1.18 a litre...

I bet...I always just waited for the "clicks" and then went inside.. put the card in.. PIN number.. and walked out trying to disregard the price!!

I know a mate that it cost £111.00 to fill up his Range Rover.... (and 400 miles later he was there again)

Rick

linners
28-02-2009, 08:05 AM
My A4 1.8T Cab quattro fills to the brim at 62 litres
I also regularly use a 1.9TDI which takes about 66 litres

lucas88
28-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I bet...I always just waited for the "clicks" and then went inside.. put the card in.. PIN number.. and walked out trying to disregard the price!!

I know a mate that it cost £111.00 to fill up his Range Rover.... (and 400 miles later he was there again)

Rick

Oooh that's nasty. My best mate's dad got an S5 when it came out and he regularly fills up after about 250/300 miles. Not sure what the tank size is but it must hurt the wallet nevertheless.