PDA

View Full Version : A4 - superb when taking a UK Car to Europe

interbear
25-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Just back from a half-term trip to France with my new Avant S-Line. A few superbly executed features which made the trip an absolute breeze and that I commend to anyone who regularly takes their car from the UK to Europe (or vice versa).

Xenon Headlight conversion - using the menu system/screen, to convert the headlights for European driving. The screen advises that the headlight range is reduced a bit when converted but it wasn't overly noticeable to me. No stickers or tape required, just the press of a button, fabulous.

Driver display conversion - convert the digital speedo to display KMPH rather than MPH. Essential to avoid being caught by the huge number of speed cameras now on French roads. Simple but effective.

Anti Ferry Alarm Setting - as usual a few poor souls had their alarms set off by ferry movement. Not the Audi. Just press a couple of buttons on the inside of the driver door before locking the car and no problem, the alarm won't be set off by either ferry movement or anything moving inside the car.

3 very simple but superb features that should make the A4 a "first pick" for anyone that regularly takes their car abroad. Well done Audi. :beerchug:

ScottyUK
25-02-2009, 11:06 PM
When I bought my Audi TT way back in 1999/2000, to conver the Xenons you just had to flip a little lever over on the rear of each headlight.

When I got my S4 5 years ago I was more than a bit peaved to find you couldn't.

I'm looking forward to having the best solution so far :D

With regards to the speedo - I don't know why manufacturers don't all do what Holden/Vauxhall/GM did with the Monaro. It's just a normal dial but press a button and the needle simply recalibrates. i.e. in MPH mode it points at 60 and you're doign 60mph. In KMPH mode, 60 is KMPH. Apart form them using too birght a bulb to show the mode it's perfect.