PDA

View Full Version : High Pitched Whine on Start

megasteve
25-02-2009, 02:22 PM
My 06 Leon has started making a loud high pitched whining sound immediately after cold starting and lasts for around a minute.

It should be noted that this has only just started after the car had been serviced.

The sound is quite distinct, almost like a high speed vacuum and is very auidable. Just wondering what could be making the sound and if there is any cause for concern?

Cheers,

Crasher
25-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Engine?

Sam
25-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I think our esteemed friend means, what engine does it have and not that the engine is the source of the whine.

If yours is anything like mine, it could well be your other half making the whine

Hex69
25-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I think our esteemed friend means, what engine does it have and not that the engine is the source of the whine.

If yours is anything like mine, it could well be your other half making the whine

Damn, you beat me to it. :zx11:

I was going to say, "Don't take your Mother-In-Law in the car with you" :biglaugh:

Crasher
25-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry, was I being curt again, naughty me :D

megasteve
25-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Engine is the bog standard 1.6.

Oh and yeh its not the other have making the whine this time :p

Crasher
25-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Sorry I could do with a little more info. The engine code and whether it is a Leon 1 or 2 as 2006 was the changeover point.

megasteve
25-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Crahser,

Sorry am new to all this lol, its a Leon 2:

Seat Leon 1.6 Essence
CC / Engine Code: 1595cc BSE

Thanks

Crasher
25-02-2009, 04:48 PM
BSE, should be going mooo not whine!

Anyway, when it was serviced, was the cam belt or accessory drive belt replaced?

megasteve
25-02-2009, 05:39 PM
No belt was replaced as far as i'm aware, it was just the usual 40,000 mile inspection service where by the oil, filter and spark plugs were replaced.

Crasher
25-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Perhaps they removed the cam belt cover to inspect it and did not re-install it correctly so it is rubbing on a belt, but then again it would whine all the time.

One thing it could be though, the BSE engine has the secondary air injection system that is rarely used these days and they may have displaced a hose so that you are more aware of its function which is a high speed air blower for around 30 seconds on cold start.

megasteve
25-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeh a brief websearch I did earlier did throw up the possibility of it being related to the secondary air injection system.

Having just done another, I stumbled across a post on the seatcupra.net forums which details how to remove the secondary air injection system...one person says this makes changing the oil filter a hell of a lot easier. Could it therefore be that the garage disconnected part of the secondary air intake whilst changing the oil filter and have simply failed to reconnect properly?

Crasher
25-02-2009, 09:34 PM
It is possible that there is an air leak on the intake to the pump. If it was a leak on the output of the pump, the emissions warning light would have come on by now. If there is an air leak on the intake, it means the pump is sucking in unfiltered air.