PDA

View Full Version : Question Removing windscreen wiper arms

Sp0oner
24-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Falling victim to the flooded car issue i'm trying to follow the guide to clear the plenum chamber. However I can't get the battery out without removing the plastic tray that is above it which the windscreen wipers attach to. This is the only step stopping me and driving me nuts. Now got to put it back together as can't get the wiper arms off.

I have undone the bolts on the wiper arms and they wont budge. How on earth are you supposed to remove them, brute force?

Hex69
24-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Falling victim to the flooded car issue i'm trying to follow the guide to clear the plenum chamber. However I can't get the battery out without removing the plastic tray that is above it which the windscreen wipers attach to. This is the only step stopping me and driving me nuts. Now got to put it back together as can't get the wiper arms off.

I have undone the bolts on the wiper arms and they wont budge. How on earth are you supposed to remove them, brute force?

Noooooooooooo., you'll end up breaking the windscreen.

You need a set of pullers like this.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images/DB_Detail/_30648_141734.jpg

Any of the online tools stockists stock these

Sp0oner
24-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks, can't wait for online delivery though, can you buy these in halfords etc?

Hex69
24-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks, can't wait for online delivery though, can you buy these in halfords etc?

I would think so.

Sp0oner
24-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I've ordered that exact one above in the end. Tried local motor factors they don't sell them. Tried two local garages neither of which have them. Tried the dealers and they wanted to charge for the use of theirs so declined. I'd rather have my own than pay the dealers more just to use theirs once!

martin1810
24-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Pity I didn't see this earlier. That design is cr*p. If your lucky it will work. Fair chance it will just break. Sorry to be a no it all but I sell them. When you do it up, gently tap the side of the arm with a hammer. Don't just screw it tighter and tighter or it will break.

Sp0oner
24-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I'll see if I can cancel as only just done the order! What one do you recomend?

Just cancelled it!

What about this one? http://www.ccw-tools.com/product.asp?P_ID=12148&af=1792

cazyp
24-02-2009, 08:35 PM
There is a large wire loom that sits against the bulk head - engine side of the battery. Undo the 2 metal clips that hold it to the bulkhead and pull it towards the engine out of the way. Now the battery will carefully lift out.

Sp0oner
24-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks but did that and the battery was never going to fit through and needs that black plastic removed that has the wipers placed on top of it.

paulthefox
24-02-2009, 10:10 PM
bought the sealey item mentioned it does not fit under the drivers side wiper arm due to lack of space did not want to force it for fear of damaging windscreen also tried to tap with hammer still no luck:mad::mad:

paul

martin1810
24-02-2009, 10:26 PM
bought the sealey item mentioned it does not fit under the drivers side wiper arm due to lack of space did not want to force it for fear of damaging windscreen also tried to tap with hammer still no luck:mad::mad:

paul

That's odd. The sealey one should fit.

paulthefox
24-02-2009, 10:33 PM
with bonnet open there was lack of space so took of bracket that holds bonnet hinge still no joy so just gave up wiper arms are the original ones so been on for years.still the tool has other uses:cussing:

paul

Eddie
26-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Undo nuts,spray wd40 onto threads,operate wipers,leave for ten mins,lift wiper arms to clean windscreen position insert big screwdriver underneath and prise off works every time

window man
06-03-2009, 01:23 AM
spray with wd 40 and push down at the hinge part of the wiper it will come lose trust me ive removed hundreds like that over the years as ive been a windscreen fitter for 20 yrs

snapdragon
06-03-2009, 09:53 AM
For me, I put grease on the spindles (without nuts) and left for weeks.
Then they came off by finding an open ended spanner which would fit underneath as a 'forked' crowbar and I used a very big flat blade screwdriver for the spanner to pivot against.

I put them back with grease and didn't over-do the nuts.

Izalman
06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Old mechanics trick - using water pump pliers. Start by slacken off the wiper arm securing nut unscrew it to level with the top of the thread, using the slip joint pliers put one jaw under the wiper arm and the on the nut & thread, you may have to adjust the pliers to get your hands around them enough & squeeze the pliers hard.
Enough force will be put on the underside of the arm to realease the taper lock, the nut still on the thread will prevent damage and stop it flying off.
Worked for me loads of times - carefull not to get too near the glass...