PDA

View Full Version : Vibration

tony_anon
11-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi,

A4 B6 2003 1.9TDI.
Noticed a fairly regular vibration whilst idle, every few secs. Only happens after a cold start. When engine warms up, its gone. Is it something to worry about?

Also, was on the motorway the other day and took it up quite high (dont like to say how high!) and when I got home, I noticed a slight knocking sound whilst idleing and sometimes when accelerating from start. Hope the head gasket isnt about to blow. Are the 2 related?

Cheers.

Dave Avant
12-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Not to point out the obvious, but have you checked the oil level?

HG don't manifest themselves in noises, usually a milkshake in the coolant or oil, or low power, or white smoke.

tony_anon
12-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Dave,

Will check the oil level thanks. Its more like a shudder every few secs then its gone.

Cheers.

P.S. I got the Xenon HID fitted by a friend and they're great no matter what some people say! Go RickT go!

Dave Avant
13-03-2007, 10:59 AM
It can be allsorts. The engine mounting on the n/s is electronic and alters the damping depending on engine revs.

Best way with these engines is VAG com. The balance between the injectors could be slightly out, a sensor, MAF??? Gone are the days that diesels are basic with just a fuel/distributor pump.

Re Xenons :beerchug:

Which kit did you go for? The same as me?

tony_anon
13-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Dave,

Oil level seems to be ok, mid range. I've still to get into the VAG-COM business. I need software and leads I guess? Got a laptop.

I went for another generic Xenon HID called Ultra or something which are probably not that different to your turborevs ones. I've ditched the tuning box idea. Might get a remap now after saving up!!

Cheers.

Dave Avant
14-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Or find a local Independant - would be much cheaper than the dealer.

My neighbour has a garage with VAG com and keep meaning to pop round and get mine checked out as you know I had the lumpy idle with the tuning box, but I have noticed it doing it since it was removed although alot less pronounced.