PDA

View Full Version : electrical issues

hodso
22-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi, can any one help, I fitted a Bosal tow bar to my 08 plate, B6 Passat today, I decided to use a Ryder smart 7 bypass relay, but am have a number of problems.
I have checked the connections but am still at a loss,
1) Tail lights work but also pull the indicators on
2) Brake lights work ok by them selves
3) Indicators wont flash just stays on permanently.
I f any body can help with a few pointers it would be appreciated

martin1810
23-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Point 1. Sounds like a faulty earth. Are you sure all the wires are connected to the correct colours. It sounds like you have two wires connected wrong. If you put on here what colours you have connected each system to I will double check the colours for you.

hodso
23-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi,

I have used a meter and found the following wires on the cars loom give the following function:
Brake lights: Black Blue
Left Indicator: Black
Right Indicator: Black Green
Left tail light: Brown Grey
Right tail light: Yellow Grey

I am using a Ryder Smart 7 TF2217 Bypass relay that I removed from my Signum, is this relay still suitable.
I have read else where on the forum no to connect the black or the brown wires of the relay to the cars loom.

i am earthing down to the main vehicle earth post

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Hodso

kenney
23-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I think you will need to tell the central electronics unit you have fitted a towbar Byte 04 Bit 2 Towbar fitted

hodso
23-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I think you will need to tell the central electronics unit you have fitted a towbar Byte 04 Bit 2 Towbar fitted

Hi,
i am lead to believe by other threads on this subject on this forum, when using a bypass relay you dont have to get the ecu reprogrammed.

kenney
23-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Okay as i have never used a bypass relay,i did not know that.Was there fitting instructions with the kit?

martin1810
24-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Wire colours all look fine. Still looks like an earth fault for point one. Have you run a separate power feed from the battery for the relay. The ecu doen't need program hence name "by pass" relay. The relay usually requires it's own power feed and earth. NEVER take the power feed from the loom on a can-bus car.

hodso
28-02-2009, 07:22 PM
All now working OK, the bypass relay was faulty, fitted a new TEB7AS job done

j.clott
03-03-2009, 11:08 AM
was going to suggest buying a proper wiring kit for your car as it is canbus. i researcherd this before buying my electrics. The passat espically should not have a bypass relay fitted as it has several safety features including a trailer stability that needs to know when a trailer is attached - a bypass does not communicate to the car so will not activate any safety feautres.
The towbar fitters are to blame really as they just want to quote the cheapest to get the job.
On a modern car that is worth i.e £15000+ why not spend the £200 and make the vehicle safe and leave the wiring in tact avaoiding any issues because the fitter has scotchlocked onto the hightec wiring loom.
There's an excellant website with info on this incase anybody else was thinking to get a cheap towbar fitted to their modern car, it's

www.rightconnections.co.uk (http://www.rightconnections.co.uk) and look under the trailer safety section. Their video makes you think about getting it done cheap!

kenney
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
A very good point ninja